Thread: Can you see this 6 second film ?

Thanks

Question Can you see this 6 second film ?

Are you able to view the (6 seconds) film on the link below using Internet Explorer 6 and Flash 9 please ?

http://www.130609.com/bunny

The helps appreciated.

Saz

Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 Times in 3,154 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes, but I have Flash 10,0,12,36 installed. You could require it or later. However, it doesn't load up like in Opera which does it pretty much as would be expected. There is in IE 6 an alert (press OK to keep loading this page), but that may be due to the fact that my IE 6 is what is known as a 'standalone' version. Also (in IE 6) when it gets to the end, it doesn't fully stop, the loading icon comes up and just remains there.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Thanks John, that info is appreciated. Just getting people on IE6, Flash 9, that can't view it

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I believe you can set it in the object tag, what the minimum version of Flash is that is required, if done in a certain way it can present a link to the preferred or greater version. Folks using IE 6 should update to the most recent Flash as earlier versions are more vulnerable to Active X (a uniquely IE issue) attack. I believe FlowPlayer may also have an option for this. Check their site/documentation to see if they do. If not, I can give you some suggestions on how to use the codebase attribute of the object tag to force them to at least have the opportunity to update.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Thanks John, I will probably go down the route of, if they're not able to view the film, then showing an option to upgrade - is that what you mean ?

The thing that I can't quite work out, is :

On PC2, trying with IE6, Flash vers 10, to view Youtube videos - can view all with no problems.

PC3, trying with IE6, Flash vers 9, to view Youtube videos, can't view any.

Ok, you'd think the problem was the older version of Flash, but on PC3, videos can be seen on Youtube, using Firefox ? ?

I'm a little confused.com - IF the problem was the absence of the latest Flash version on PC3, when using IE6, why would there be no problems, using the same PC, but with Fierfox ? ?

? ? ? ?

Just trying desperately to understand, what is quite a new area to me.

Saz

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm hoping that by PC's 2 and 3 you mean two different computers. Otherwise what follows may not apply. The myriad of differences between any 2 computers, and any 2 browsers probably far outweigh the differences between Flash 9 and Flash 10. A brief scan of Google results for:

changes between Flash 9 and 10

would seem to indicate that the main changes to Flash between those two versions were primarily for security.

Now, when I said "any 2 browsers", I did mean of course between Firefox and IE 6. But it could also apply to two 'versions' of IE 6. IE 6 has just one version number, but it changed all along its history with updates from Live Update and similar available free updating services from MS. Add to that fact that one may at one's discretion install IE 6 on a computer in various ways. I'm not even sure if I'm aware of all of the possibilities here. The main ones are as the sole IE browser on the computer versus as a subsidiary IE browser, a 'standalone' version. Of these standalone versions, there are at least two main types - those installed with registry tweaks that allow more of the full functionality that IE 6 would have as the sole IE browser on a computer, and those that don't. I'm not aware of any standalone version that has all of the functionality of a sole IE browser. With a sole IE browser, you have the 'version' differences from updates as mentioned, as well as configuration (things set by the user in the various option menus of IE, that also have defaults at install, but vary from install to install) differences. These also apply to the standalone versions.

So you see, it would be virtually impossible to to tell if you were even running the same IE 6 browser on two different machines, let alone what some of the other factors (other than the Flash version) I mentioned might play in this.

The best thing you can do though is to construct your object tag in such a way as it gives the user a chance to update if they are having a problem. This can be tailored as to whether or not they are using IE, even specific IE version numbers. All others cannot be easily or reliably differentiated as to 'make and model', but can be easily separated as a group from IE. What you tell folks on failure can be tailored to what your tag can identify about their browser, like suggesting they upgrade to IE 7 and Flash 10 for IE 6 or less folks, or to Flash 10 for folks using other browsers. Since these will (depending upon how constructed) only be shown upon failure, if a user can view with their current setup, they will not be bothered.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 11-30-2009 at 03:41 PM.
    - John

Thanks

Thanks John, the weird thing, is that I installed the exact same version of IE6 on all 3 PC's at the same time ?

(ps, is it just me, or does everyone here have to log in on every visit here, even if it's just a couple of hours later, from the previous visit?)
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 11-30-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: merge posts

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well we still have the differences in the computers themselves, as well as the differences between IE 6 and whatever version of Firefox you are using. BTW, you generally will receive either an automatic update to Flash or at least a suggestion to update Flash just by virtue of having Flash 9 installed on a computer, that is unless you have disabled that feature. It's also possible that even though you installed, or think you installed the same version of IE 6 on all three computers, there may be differences in those computers or in choices you made during the process that made the installs go differently or that made them update differently. And you may have changed settings in one or more IE 6's differently than in others at some point after the installs. But as I say, the IE 6's could be identical, there could still be variations in computers and/or between IE 6 and Firefox to account for what you are reporting.

As to your other question, yes - even I have to log in every time. And it takes much less than an hour of inactivity before you (or anyone) is automatically logged out. If I log in as a mod to the board's moderation sub system (which I rarely do, it affords only a little more control over users than I normally have just by virtue of being a mod, and is an extra few steps to log in) if I do that, I generally will be more or less permanently logged in until I log out of that sub system. Most users don't have that option though.
    - John

Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks John, I know that both IE6's are exactly the same, as I installed them myself, with the same settings.

Thanks for the help and answering the other question as well.