Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lightbox (I think)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,382 Posts
    Blog Entries

With Lightbox, without extensive modification, you ultimately have no influence where the bottom of the larger image will be in relation to the bottom of the browser window. Folks have all different sized screens, and there is no guarantee that they will have their browser window (also known loosely as the view port) maximised, so it may be shorter and/or narrower than their screen or their available screen dimensions.

There are some lightbox type scripts that attempt, for the most part successfully, to resize the larger image if it and its container would be outside the viewable area in the view port, so as to bring them inside it.

That said, you can bring a Lightbox lightbox up a bit by giving it a negative top margin:

Code:
    #outerImageContainer{ position: relative; background-color: #fff; 
    width: 250px; height: 250px; margin: -25px auto 0 auto; }
    Which will raise it by 25px.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 12-03-2009 at 01:00 AM. Reason: spelling
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

Bernie Kruger (12-02-2009)

Thanks

Thanx

That did the trick sortof, I used -40 and it is still within a margin of 20px from the top but of course, IE renders different from FF, so I went down to -10px

It looks crap in IE but OK in FF. In IE6 it is touching the top w/o scroll bars but I notice that all of the lightbox touches. The -10 settings just truncates the white top border. I have renamed a css page just for the page with the long doors for now, will post these 2morrow and give links

It is only one page that renders door fronts which are taller than wide and on my machine the task bar autohides

Rgds

Bernie

Thanks
    Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,382 Posts
    Blog Entries

You may want to switch to Lightwindow, one of the lightbox type scripts I was mentioning:

http://www.stickmanlabs.com/lightwindow/#features

Ultimately though, you probably want a jQuery powered lightbox because it would use the same script library as your Simple Gallery (you could get rid of all the baggage of prototype.js and its helper js files). But, Simple Gallery is currently stuck on jQuery 1.2.6 or I would have suggested this sooner (jQuery is currently at 1.3.2, and most current jQuery lightbox type scripts use that version).

Ideally what we would want to do is to find a jQuery lightbox type script that either uses jQuery 1.2.6, or one that uses the current version of jQuery and that in either case supports this resizing feature. Then it could either be used with Simple gallery (if it works with jQuery 1.2.6), or with Ultimate Fade 2.1 (if it uses jQuery 1.3.2). Ultimate Fade 2.1 can be setup to do most of what you are doing with Simple Gallery, and where it would differ it might actually be easier on your users.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    You may want to switch to Lightwindow, one of the lightbox type scripts I was mentioning:

http://www.stickmanlabs.com/lightwindow/#features

Ultimately though, you probably want a jQuery powered lightbox because it would use the same script library as your Simple Gallery (you could get rid of all the baggage of prototype.js and its helper js files). But, Simple Gallery is currently stuck on jQuery 1.2.6 or I would have suggested this sooner (jQuery is currently at 1.3.2, and most current jQuery lightbox type scripts use that version).

Ideally what we would want to do is to find a jQuery lightbox type script that either uses jQuery 1.2.6, or one that uses the current version of jQuery and that in either case supports this resizing feature. Then it could either be used with Simple gallery (if it works with jQuery 1.2.6), or with Ultimate Fade 2.1 (if it uses jQuery 1.3.2). Ultimate Fade 2.1 can be setup to do most of what you are doing with Simple Gallery, and where it would differ it might actually be easier on your users.
    You're a cruel man John

Man just when I thought I had jazzed uo the site with the latest and greatest, you tell me about this *sigh*

Well the year is winding down and I do not anticipate any new business in our silly season so I guess I will try implementing some of these features.

The view of the external website via a "lightbox, is a nice feature and I can probably now drop the frames ( I hope you are clued up on this as I am sure there will be many Q's from me)

I think I will publish what I have done and then cut the lawn tomorrow. I have "winders eyes", need to get them focused on stuff further than 24"

Thanks for all tyhe help so far

Thanks

Default Jquery conflicting with lightbox

Hi John,

Can you please help me as menu is not working due to lightbox on this page

http://masielbebe.co.uk/detail.php?prodid=72

Thank you in advance for your help

Thanks,
    Shahzad