Thread: Cant seem to center my unordered list, any help appreciated.

Thanks

Default Cant seem to center my unordered list, any help appreciated.

Hey yall i am doing my site and having trouble centering the list for the top i want it to stay the same size but be in the center and and not offset to the left. Thanks in advance.

Code:
    /* HEADER */

#header{width:735px; height:283px;  position:relative; background:url(../images/b_header.jpg) 0 0 no-repeat; margin:0 auto}

#header img#logo{position:absolute; top:9px; left:510px}
    #header img#slogan{position:absolute; top:186px; left:408px}

#header ul.menu{position:absolute; top:16px; left:2px; width:470px}
    #header ul.menu li{height:17px; margin-right:13px; float:left}
    #header ul.menu li a{height:17px; display:block; text-indent:-20000px; }
    #header ul.menu li a:hover{height:17px;}

#header ul.menu li.btn_1 a{width:69px; background:url(../images/btn_1.gif) 0 0 no-repeat; }
    #header ul.menu li.btn_1 a:hover{width:69px; background:url(../images/btn_1_over.gif) 0 0 no-repeat;}

#header ul.menu li.btn_2 a{width:61px; background:url(../images/btn_2.gif) 0 0 no-repeat; }
    #header ul.menu li.btn_2 a:hover{width:61px; background:url(../images/btn_2_over.gif) 0 0 no-repeat;}

#header ul.menu li.btn_3 a{width:61px; background:url(../images/btn_3.gif) 0 0 no-repeat; }
    #header ul.menu li.btn_3 a:hover{width:61px; background:url(../images/btn_3_over.gif) 0 0 no-repeat;}

#header ul.menu li.btn_4 a{width:66px; background:url(../images/btn_4.gif) 0 0 no-repeat; }
    #header ul.menu li.btn_4 a:hover{width:66px; background:url(../images/btn_4_over.gif) 0 0 no-repeat;}

#header ul.menu li.btn_5{margin-right:0}
    #header ul.menu li.btn_5 a{width:73px; background:url(../images/btn_5.gif) 0 0 no-repeat; }
    #header ul.menu li.btn_5 a:hover{width:73px; background:url(../images/btn_5_over.gif) 0 0 no-repeat;}

#header ul.menu li.line{width:6px; background:url(../images/bullet_m.gif) 0 6px no-repeat}
    Last edited by Jholden; 11-17-2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: English was horrrible

Thanks

Also if any one has a better idea on how i should do it, i am open and can post the code for my entire site. Well at lease the CSS code and if needed the html also.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jholden
    #header ul.menu{position:absolute; top:16px; left:2px; width:470px}
    This is why your list is offset to the left. It's generally not advised to use absolute positioning throughout the entire site.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boogyman View Post
    This is why your list is offset to the left. It's generally not advised to use absolute positioning throughout the entire site.
    O ok i will fix that, do i just change absolute to center?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jholden View Post
    O ok i will fix that, do i just change absolute to center?
    (X)HTML was not created for presentational purposes.

My advice if for you to read some more about proper webpage development. Start by reviewing http://webdevout.com

Thanks

Yea, no offense but dont really have time to read that whole site. Is there a quick way to adjust it over, anywhere in the middle top works?