Advanced Search

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scrollbar

Thanks

Arrow Scrollbar

I downloaded a template, planning to completely edit it. However, in the main frame, if you write more than a certain amount, a scrollbar appears. the page colour theme is black/white/grey, so I need to change the colour of the scrollbar.

I tried using...
    Code:
    <style type="text/css">
    body,html {
    scrollbar-arrow-color: red;
    scrollbar-base-color: #1C4764;
    scrollbar-dark-shadow-color: blue;
    scrollbar-3dlight-color:white;
    scrollbar-face-color: #1F5171;
    scrollbar-highlight-color: blue;
    scrollbar-shadow-color: blue;
    scrollbar-darkshadow-color: yellow;
     }
    </style>
    which I found online, but it appears this is only for the edge scrollbar -->.
    Is it possible to change the colours? How?

Thanks in advance,

-Amos

btw, the page is multiple frames (edges, bottom, main, menu...)
    Last edited by amos; 09-17-2005 at 11:42 AM. Reason: sp

Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 3,097 Posts
    Blog Entries

Custom scrollbar colors are only used by IE5+ and Opera8 (the Internet Explorer and the Opera 8 browsers). If the scrollbars are appearing on a frame (as you seem to indicate), all you need to do is to put your style code on the page(s) that display in that frame, not on the page that sets the frames. Oh, and the proper syntax for the scrollbar colors is:
    Code:
    scrollbar-arrow-color: yellow;
    scrollbar-base-color: black;
    scrollbar-dark-shadow-color: yellow;
    scrollbar-track-color: green;
    scrollbar-face-color: blue;
    scrollbar-shadow-color: white;
    scrollbar-highlight-color: silver;
    scrollbar-3d-light-color: black;
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 09-17-2005 at 04:52 PM.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

I'll try that. Thanks. Does the HTML go into the <body> section?
    And why is it not Firefox - compatable?

BTW: What are the hexes for greys (i.e #111111 is black)?
    I guess it's #222222, #333333 and so on and so forth.
    Cheers
    Last edited by amos; 09-17-2005 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Question

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That's not HTML, it is meant to substitute into your style block and then go in the head of the page(s) that display in the frame. #000000 is black (#111111 is very close to black). Any individual number in a hex (base 16) color can be 0 through F. #FFFFFF is white. The hex codes are broken down into groups of two, each representing a number 00 through FF (1 to 255 in decimal numbers) for red green and blue. Any grouping where all three numbers are the same is a shade of gray, black or white, ex: #D0D0D0 is a common gray. So is #CDCDCD. Colors arise when the numbers are unequal, then the shades blend to produce tones other than gray. There are numerous places on the web where you can find color charts. Firefox is not compatible with custom scrollbars because it wasn't programed to be. Each browser has its idiosyncrasies. Opera, for example, doesn't do anything transparent or any varying degrees of opacity either. IE will not render position:fixed for anything other than a page background or the pseudo-class hover for anything other than a link. The lists are virtually endless. Fortunately, on most of the basics, all browsers agree or are at least close.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

I would like to add an addition to your differences. Marquees are primarily an IE tag and firefox will distort any styles you input for your marquees so if you ever use one make sure that you keep it simple so that Firefox can read it. I like to avoid marquees altogether.

Thanks

I avoid marqueeing text at all costs. However, I'm using a webtool in OpenOffice (www.openoffice.org), not FrontPage, and it doesn't have special marquee properties anyway.
    Cheers - I'll keep this updated on the situation.

Thanks

Angry update

Whenever I enter the code in HTML view and return to design view, it disappears...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Use a text editor. How did we get on to marquees in this thread?
    - John

Thanks

Something about differences in IE and Firefox and Opera...

but back to topic... if you use a text editor make sure to name the page pagename.htm or pagename.html and not pagename.txt... first time I ever used a text editor it kept messing me up... also another thing the editor that you are using might not use IE to preview your page when you got to preview it... it might use your default browser which may be Netscape Navigator or Firefox which doesn't allow for you to change the scrollbar color.

EDIT:: in design view it may not show your scrollbars being changed so view it in IE to make sure that it may not just be the design program.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigT
    if you use a text editor make sure to name the page pagename.htm or pagename.html and not pagename.txt... first time I ever used a text editor it kept messing me up... also another thing the editor that you are using might not use IE to preview your page when you got to preview it... it might use your default browser which may be Netscape Navigator or Firefox which doesn't allow for you to change the scrollbar color.

EDIT:: in design view it may not show your scrollbars being changed so view it in IE to make sure that it may not just be the design program.
    I'm not stupid. I know what program it's using to open the page and what extension to give it. But thanks for the ips about IE.