Advanced Search

Thread: Mail application--how can i come to know which mail is selected?

Thanks

Question Mail application--how can i come to know which mail is selected?

hey
    i am developing a gmail like application and i want to know how can i come to know which mail has been selected and to be retrived on server side?????
    sam problem with dynamic checkbox which is checked???how to know at server side>>>>>>>????heeeeeeeeeeelpppppppppp:confused

Thanks

I believe you have posted this in the wrong area. Is this a question about Javascript and PHP? If so, it should be in the Javascript (maybe PHP) section.
    Java and Javascript are completely different, completely unrelated programming languages that just happen to sound alike.
    If you DO actually want to use Java (applets/desktop programming), then correct me, and DO give us more information. We can't help you if you are not more clear about what you need and what you are doing/have done. Give us some code, some examples, and just in general more information to work with.

--------

Now, on to your question:
    To be honest, if you are having trouble with this type of thing it will be VERY difficult to make something like gmail. It will take a long time, at least.

If you want to make a very simple version of gmail, that may be possible, but making something as good as (or even close to) gmail will be really hard. They have professional, full time employees working on it every day.

You have given us very little information about how you are trying to accomplish this, what languages you are using, etc.

In general, the server must get a request from the user, so they must load a page (click a link, send a form, etc) or you can do this dynamically with ajax. gmail is based on a lot of complex ajax, but they also have a pure html version to back it up.
    If you are trying to use ajax, then you will use javascript to respond to input (like clicking a checkbox) and send a value to the server, which will then send back the message or other response.

With this complex type of project, take it one step at a time and do lots of tests to figure out how to approach this type of problem. Building everything at once will be hard. If you work out all the components separately, it may be possible.

So, here's how you do it:
    1. Figure out how to make your UI work and have Javascript know what you want to do (link? checkbox? etc)
    2. Figure out how to use ajax to send something to the server (like with any general ajax tutorial)
    3. Figure out how to actually retrieve that with php and output it
    4. Figure out how to take that response (email/data/etc) and put it on the page using Javascript.
    5. Use all this code and put it together as a single unit, and add it to the rest of your code.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum