Thread: Email Riddler Script

Thanks

Default Email Riddler Script

1) Script Title: Email Riddler

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/emailriddler/

3) Describe problem: I can't get this to work, missing something other than brains. I put my domain name in, it output the encrypted results for my domain name, which should point to Contact Me ! locations. Not using an image, the last option. I inserted the script in the Head section of my template, so all pages will have this or can I put it in the text. css file I use. Not sure here.

I searched for some answers. Probably tired after chasing a wounded 8 point buck today bow hunting. Lost the blood trail after 3 miles.................. Arggg.

So I then highlighted the Contact Me ! links on the template and put in the suggested part in Option 1 I think it was, of document write < a href etc. as it was output, with the mod's of domain it suggest with ID value.

Links don't work, am I stupid or just tired? I'll take answers please, first time I've used this and want to get it set before I put the new site up tomorrow.

Thanks all Greg

Cold in Wisconsin

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Probably just tired. However, this might not be the best solution to whatever your problem is in the first place. Please describe your objectives in detail. Here's an alternative:

http://home.comcast.net/~ansiguy/emailen1.htm

But the best solution may be something on the server side.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    Probably just tired. However, this might not be the best solution to whatever your problem is in the first place. Please describe your objectives in detail. Here's an alternative:

http://home.comcast.net/~ansiguy/emailen1.htm

But the best solution may be something on the server side.
    Thanks for the help. I'll look into this. I want to stop all of the email spam garbage I've gotten previously on my other website. Hoped this would help.

Thanks much and yes, Me thinks I was tired, leg's are killing me and knees too from crawling on the ground looking for blood trail, etc.
    Thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well whatever you do will not get you off of the lists that spammers use. At least not right away. I had a similar problem, and now that I never allow my unencrypted email address out in public, and have not for several years, I still get some spam, but not too much.

Just encrypting one instance of your email address will not do too much though if you sign up for mail from questionable sources or give your address to questionable sites for other purposes, or even simply 'opt out' by replying to spam to be taken off the list - this 'opt out' option is really just confirmation that you have a valid address, it will not remove you from a spammer's list.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    Well whatever you do will not get you off of the lists that spammers use. At least not right away. I had a similar problem, and now that I never allow my unencrypted email address out in public, and have not for several years, I still get some spam, but not too much.

Just encrypting one instance of your email address will not do too much though if you sign up for mail from questionable sources or give your address to questionable sites for other purposes, or even simply 'opt out' by replying to spam to be taken off the list - this 'opt out' option is really just confirmation that you have a valid address, it will not remove you from a spammer's list.
    Jscheuer1:

Thanks for the heads up, but this is for a new website I'm posting. I do not give out my personal email, except to friends, and anything I sign up for I use a Yahoo account, which I discard every year and start a new one. Spent 20 years in IT, MS/Novell/Cisco admin and telephony, so pretty well versed. I never did any web work, wasn't my area, but since I lost my job at the college I worked at, I've been playing and learning web stuff since then. It's different and a challenge, but I find it good to tempt the mind, since I can't do that at what I do now. Almost 59, and over the hill they say.

I do appreciate everyones help and suggestions, and yes I was so tired tracking that deer, the mind wasn't working well. Too many hours on hands and knees trying to follow blood trail, and then it started to rain.

Thanks again to all. Oh, yeah, I missed the + sign when copying in the ID part, which is why it did not work.

Greg