Thread: does flash media player stops caching of files

Thanks

Default does flash media player stops caching of files

hi all

i am working on a music website which plays many mp3 files in custom flash mp3 player.

so i would like to ask that playing external mp3 files in flash player will stop these mp3 files from downloading in temporary folder of browser or not.

what is the best solution if i dont want these mp3 files to get download in temporary internet files folder of browser.

vineet

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Unless these mp3 files are of extremely low sampling rate, caching is required for playback. There are ways to frustrate the end user's ability to retrieve these cached versions as mp3 files however. But there are also ways around that if the user is determined. Also, I'm not aware of any method to do so that isn't proprietary to a commercial software (like RealPlayer - I'm sure there are others). You'd probably have to buy the software and use their player. Ultimately though, if you are seeking protection for the content, copyright it and/or only allow partial versions/low bit rate versions to be listened to via the web.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

hi John

do you know any php script that can convert a high quality mp3 songs in low quality mp3 songs while uploading.

as not every user uses highend audio softwares and also the work load will become double if they have to manually create a low sample rate mp3 separate for their audios.

vineet
    Last edited by vineet; 10-10-2009 at 02:36 AM. Reason: code

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

No. PHP is not one of my strong points. This sounds like something PHP could possibly do though. If so, I'm pretty sure it would require a unit/add on to PHP - like I'm pretty sure there is no native PHP function that would do this.

A cursory search of the web on terms:

adjust mp3 bitrate PHP

and:

resample mp3 PHP

using Google turned up some stuff, but nothing that looked immediately promising to my admittedly untrained (in this regard) eye.

You should also consider that if there are any command line driven software programs out there that can run on the server that can do this, there is probably a way to get PHP to interface with one or more of them.

If you want more on this (PHP and mp3 bitrates) post in the PHP forum here:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=11

and/or on other web help forums that have PHP sections.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate