Thread: How To make our PC as a Hosting? so others can access our website from our home?

Thanks

Default How To make our PC as a Hosting? so others can access our website from our home?

Hey palz, anyone has tried to use his/her own PC for Hosting their own websites? any suggesstion how to do this

Thanks

as I know, is using an Public IP.
    Can You access : http://202.70.61.14/ ?
    Or the result is timeout?

thanks.

Thanks

Google WAMP (Windows) or LAMP (Linux) (or even MAMP for Mac). Install and get that going (it might take a while, but those packages are popular and well supported if you need help). Set up your IP address so it is static if possible (so people can consistently find it), or find a way to keep track of it (when it keeps changing each time the connection is reset). Then connect that with a domain name if you want (use a hosting company to buy the domain and point it to your IP). Deal with any last configurations (like permissions, accounts, etc.) and that should be all.

Aside from the static IP issue, the main problems in hosting yourself come from:
    1. Keeping the computer on all the time.
    2. Bandwidth (if your ISP limits it)
    3. Speed, because home connections have slow upload and fast download, while servers need fast upload (out to the user) and maybe slower download (in from the user-- for "uploads").
    4. And, of course, having an extra computer that you can not use if it's busy doing webserving (though it can also be used, but might run a little slow, depending on the stats).

At the moment the address above is not loading.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    Google WAMP (Windows) or LAMP (Linux) (or even MAMP for Mac). Install and get that going (it might take a while, but those packages are popular and well supported if you need help). Set up your IP address so it is static if possible (so people can consistently find it), or find a way to keep track of it (when it keeps changing each time the connection is reset). Then connect that with a domain name if you want (use a hosting company to buy the domain and point it to your IP). Deal with any last configurations (like permissions, accounts, etc.) and that should be all.

Aside from the static IP issue, the main problems in hosting yourself come from:
    1. Keeping the computer on all the time.
    2. Bandwidth (if your ISP limits it)
    3. Speed, because home connections have slow upload and fast download, while servers need fast upload (out to the user) and maybe slower download (in from the user-- for "uploads").
    4. And, of course, having an extra computer that you can not use if it's busy doing webserving (though it can also be used, but might run a little slow, depending on the stats).

At the moment the address above is not loading.
    Now, I have installed WAMP as a server palz.
    I've tried tutorial from this : Wampp Guide ^^
    It seems to be working, but maybe my IP doesn't support this.
    I have put WAMP server as Online ^^

The IP means : Public IP that I test from this ? IP Checker that shows : Your IP address is 202.70.61.147

I used that for my localhost shared. http://202.70.61.147, I think it's not working
    Last edited by sysout; 09-25-2009 at 01:54 AM.

Thanks

You also have to remember that if you have a router and firewall, you have to do port forwarding for port 80 to point to the local ip address of the computer you are using as the server. I posted a tutorial on how to set up a pc as a server on here, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Hope this helps nonetheless.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks

you have to do port forwarding for port 80 to point to the local ip address of the computer you are using as the server.
    is this must be set by the ISP or we can setting it by ourselves on our local ?

how to set up a pc as a server
    i see, that's the keyword, thanks palz, I'll search for the solution, later, I'll post here

Really Great Advise ^^
    Last edited by sysout; 09-25-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks

no solution for the IP Public, it is a must

for the domain, the Hosting Company can redirect to our IP ^^
    For dynamic IP, I Found this stuff : http://www.no-ip.com/

Just for shared ^^

Thanks for all who helps.