Thread: Add CSS reference to header on the fly

Thanks

Default Add CSS reference to header on the fly

Hello,

I think that i am screwed, but i wanted to post this question before i kill myself :-)

we have a site with several thousands of .ASP pages. we are getting ready to implement a new flyout menu. this menu is controlled by a style sheet. the menu is called from an include file (header.inc). each ASP page has it's own
    Code:
    <html><head></head></html>
    tags. i am racking my brain trying to figure out how i can add the reference to the stylesheet without having to add it to each individual page on the site.

does anyone know of a way that you can add a CCS reference to the HTML HEAD tag on the fly (or at least after the page has rendered)?

the only thing i could think was to create a thin ISAPI filter that looks for the HEAD tag and inserts the reference....

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thanks

I would assume that since you are using an include file for the headers then you should not have one for each page - otherwise there would be little to no point.

So, if this is the case why not use TextPad (or something similar) that has a global find and replace method, i.e. replace all instances in all files.

Therefore you could have open all of your header.inc files and say replace "</head>" with "<link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css" type="text/css"></head>"

This should take you all of about, hmm, 20 seconds...

Thanks

the header.inc file does not contain the html HEAD tag. it is simply a file that sets up a bunch of session variables and then calls the xml that builds the menu. each ASP page on the site has its own HTML, HEAD, and BODY tag.

i wish it were only that easy....

Thanks

i just realized that i can place the style sheet reference outside of the <head> tag and it works fine. is there a downside of not placing the CSS inside the <head> tag?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,192 Times in 3,155 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is invalid, which means it may be unsupported in some current and (possibly all, at some point in time) future browsers. What browser(s) did you test in?
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate