Advanced Search

Thread: Windows xp shuts down and restarts on its own

Thanks

Default Windows xp shuts down and restarts on its own

I am running windows xp on my mac using bootcamp to partition my hard drive. I have had no real problems since I installed windows (about a year ago) until yesterday.

Here's what happened:

I started up my computer, held down option, selected windows. The Windows start up screen loaded but then the screen went black and just stayed black. I had to force it to shut down by pressing the on off button. When I tried restarting it (the same way as previously mentioned) a black screen appeared with writing, something about how there could be a problem and Windows has to scan the disk. Then a blue screen opens and says "Checking File System C: File System Type FAT 32. One of the disks needs to be checked for consistency". Windows ran through its check and at the end stated it found no problems. It started up to the desktop and seemed ok. I started up a program that I wanted to work in, it opened really slow, but by this point it was late and I was getting tired so I shut my computer down again.

Today when I tried to start up Windows the start up screen appeared, the desk top opened and then shortly (like less than a minute) after, Windows shut itself down and restarted to the OSX side (OSX is my default operating system). When I tried restarting Windows it went to the blue screen again and ran a check on the C: drive, but this time instead of saying that it didn't find any problems it just listed what was checked, opened up the desktop and shut down again. I tried one more time and the same thing happened. When it shut down this time a dark blue screen appeared really quick and the only thing I could read of it was "A problem has been detected...".

I know this is really long, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible. I am not too familiar with PC's (use Mac's) so I am beside myself with what the problem could be. Any help at all would be much appreciated!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Default Possible Solution

Yeah, it was pretty frustrating. I ended up having to clear the partition on the hard drive and completely reinstalled Windows. Everything seems to be running fine since I did it... I think it was a virus but I can't be sure. Hope you can figure it out!