Thread: Navigation made easy

Thanks

Default Navigation made easy

Do any of the navigation menus (like Anylink CSS http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...anylinkcss.htm) have a way the links can be edited without changing the code on every page? i.e. I want to change/add links and to be able to do this in one place rather than every page. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jaykantor; 09-07-2005 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,216 Times in 3,178 Posts
    Blog Entries

In javascript that is a double edged sword. You can make some or all of the menu into external files linked to each page. That's the good part. However, without leaving something on the page to be used by non javascript enabled browsers you will inevitably leave many folks behind. This sort of thing is better accomplished using server side includes (SSI's) or PHP. That being said, the best javascript menus to use, if you are willing to go that route, are the ones already using mostly external files, like HV and Jim's. Unfortunately these are the hardest to configure. Also, whenever you do something like this, you need to have or develop a good grasp of paths and how they will be reflected in the actual use and referencing of the external files. What I do on sites I master is to have a simple or complex menu on each page that is virtually identical site-wide. Then I use an editor capable of loading up all the files at once a performing a global search and replace on all pages at the click of a few buttons.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

John, thanks for the input. I believe that editor approach would work for me because I am using the same menu on every page. Can you recommend an editor? I'm not entirely familiar with that process. Thank you. -J

Thanks
    Thanked 3,216 Times in 3,178 Posts
    Blog Entries

I use Edit Pad Pro (Shareware but has a fairly robust free demo). There are many others. If you are using a Unix or Unix type OS (as opposed to windows) there are some good free ones. The thing is these are text editors. Great for editing code, not so good for WYSIWYG designing but, with Edit Pad Pro, I just switch between the editor and the browser(s) to see what I am really getting. Preview mode in most design editors is just an idea of how things may look anyway.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

i am not quite sure what you want, and i didnt read any of the replies, so if this is off the subject, i apologize. anyways, i got the impression that you have a menu type thing repeated on every page and that you want to be able to change it on one place, and it get changed everywhere. i found this, and it is very easy to use.
    http://www.centerkey.com/dsi/manual.html