Thread: Need help - design and optimization

Thanks

Default Need help - design and optimization

Hello all,

I need your advices with designing and promoting my business.

What is the best way to get more traffic to a business's website which offers their costumers Kiwi skincare ? (not mine, attached a link from other site for example)

I really don't know, maybe online marketing won't be the best way, maybe it will.
    This is why i'm posting this question to you people, please try to be objective with this.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Here's a blog I found about SEO and common sense (unfortunately I don't remember where I found it or who the author was):

DISCLAIMER: I don’t “really” know anything about SEO. What I do know is the folks at Google and other big search engines are just human beings like us who have created and constantly tweak the search algorithms. Their goal is to give us what we want when searching, the best possible websites relevant to what we are searching for.

So let’s set aside all the fancy technical stuff and just use some good ol’ common sense.

1. Does this page have a good amount of honest information on it about the subject?

This is, by far, the most important one by my standards. I deal with businesses all the time that want to rank higher in search engines but then don’t provide any content. If you want to be the #1 search result for “ergonomic loafers”, you better start working on a bunch of written content about ergonomic loafers. Good, honest content. Not bullsh*t marketing mumbo jumbo and not keyword-soup. You need research, what they are, why they are good, where you can buy them, every last bit of expert knowledge about ergonomic loafers you can squeeze.

2. Is the information on this page well structured in the markup?

Let’s not get too technical here, but just focus on the common sense. When you “view source”, is the good content stuff right up near the top, or is it buried way down below a bunch of other non-related stuff? Are the important headers in <h1> tags? Is the title for the page something that makes sense?

3. There aren’t any stupid cheap “tricks”

Did your buddy tell you that you should put “paris hilton boobs” in white text on a white background at the bottom of the page so you could get people searching for that? Did you buy some service that promised to submit your sites to 3,253,313 search engines for ONLY $99.99! Did you put 500 keyword variations in your meta tags?

Don’t. Search engines are smarter than you. They are looking for dumb “tricks” like that and may even penalize you for them.

4. Is the URL for this page clean and relevant?

You are going to have a heck of an easier time ranking higher for “ergonomic loafers” if you own ergonomicloafers.com. If your page about them is at http://aligatorarmpits.com/2453/234bps.asp?stink=true - it’s going to be a lot harder. Common sense.

5. If you were researching this subject, would you find this page helpful? Would YOU link to it?

Take a step back, read the content, think about it. Put yourself in the mindset of a totally random visitor. Is this page useful? Did I learn something about the subject? If my mom emailed and wanted to know something about ergonomic loafers, would I send her this link or would I sent here somewhere better? If I was writing an article about ergonomic loafers, would I link to this?

6. Is the website a reliable source of quality information?

You might notice when googling, uhm, any major subject, Wikipedia articles tend to be around the top. Clearly Wikipedia has established them selves as a high quality source of information.

SEO compounds on itself. You will have an easier time ranking highly for a term if your site is an established and trustworthy source of information.
    But I did all this stuff and I still don’t rank highly?!?!

Them is the knocks, kid. SEO doesn’t happen overnight. It takes a long time. Much of it is based on other sites that link back to your page, and you have no direct control over that. You just need to focus on what you do have control over, which is making your page as compelling as it can be and encourage those links.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Genson View Post
    Hello all,

I need your advices with designing and promoting my business.

What is the best way to get more traffic to a business's website which offers their costumers Kiwi skincare ? (not mine, attached a link from other site for example)

I really don't know, maybe online marketing won't be the best way, maybe it will.
    This is why i'm posting this question to you people, please try to be objective with this.

Thanks in advance!
    Best bet. Flash animated advertisement / site w/ email campaign (eblasts they tend to refer to them now). Perhaps advertising on related websites in your community / area, or websites in your area that focus on your market (likely teens and young adults... older market for skin care I don't think is very big).

If your just starting out, start with advertisement with local theater (don't go cheap though! This could be a major boost for you, but the only people who care about skin care are kids and those who still want to be kids... they can tell is something is jank. It's difficult marketing to kids. You have to make the advertisement witty and complicated enough they feel it's unique and directed toward them; but not to complicated they don't understand it. Basically, you want them to feel they are better then someone else because they "get" the commercial. Then they'll "get" your product.

If you hire a marketing person, and they produce something that doesn't feel right, it isn't! It should be TV commercial quality; not infomertial , but top notch; watch axe deordant, or any other skin care or body product commercial. There's a ton of graphics/marketing experts looking for work, any work, on the side with today's economy the way it is. The nice thing is that many of them can telecompute; as it's all computer crap anyhow.

Try advertising at swap meet (if you have one), stores, etc.

Anyhow; just my advice.

Thanks

Default HTML content / sructure

Trag's above list is good. Here are some other links that might be of interest:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization
    http://www.searchenginejournal.com/5...uld-love/6760/
    http://webdesign.about.com/od/seo/tp...and_tricks.htm

Seems that this is not a "visual / graphics" issue since it has more to do with HTML content / structure. Starting with <HEAD> section, most important is a relevant <TITLE> tag on every page</TITLE> and <META name="DESCRIPTION" content="Relevant description of page content repeating key words / phrases in title /> and <META name="KEYWORDS" content="comma separated, phrases and words, repeating words used in title and description, words and phrases people use to search, including misspelling of search words />

In the <BODY>, repeat relevant descriptive words / phrases in headers, image alt="text", links, paragraph and list text, etc.

Get quality links to website pages. Use blogs, networks, etc. to point to site. Avoid Flash, AJAX and deprecated <frameset> structures that hide content.

Using the above tactics, I get new websites "found" by search engines within weeks.

Now this is antiquated <meta name="robots" content="all" /> but I still include it for good luck.

Thanks

In Google search you can find many tips, that will help you design and promote your business. If you want to get more traffic to your business's website you need to make off-page optimisation: blogs, social bookmarks, forums, directories posting. If you can't do all this you can contact any community and they will develop your website in eCommerce and help with SEO

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm with traq on this - CONTENT IS EVERYTHING and good quality text content it must be!

You can advertise with banners and stuff meta tags with keyword til the cows come home but at the end of the day, if your site pages dont contain useful, interesting information, visitors wont be at your site long enough for google to deem it worthy.

Also keep adding content regularly - people love freebies and if prettygardens.com posts monthly articles on gardening stuff, there will be a good portion of green-fingered types who quickly learn that prettygardens.com is a good source of regular and reliable information and they will keep going back to that site for related info. So, as well as keeping your site fresh, regular updates also help to build trustworthyness, which leads to recommendations and customers.

The worst thing you can do is just make a brochure site that stays static and unchanged on the web. You need to keep feeding the beast to allow it to grow.

Good websites can be hard work as they require a lot of dedication, but they can also be very rewarding so do your best and I'm sure you'll reap the rewards.
    Focus on Function Web Design | Latest News RSS | Facebook | Twitter |
    Fast Edit (A flat file, PHP web page editor & CMS. Small, FREE, no database!) | Fast Edit BE (Snippet Manager) (Web content editor for multiple editable regions!) | Fast Apps |
    The only limit to creativity is imagination: JemCon.org