Advanced Search

Thread: How can I Setup a Triple or Quad LCD "Multi-Monitor" Computer?

Thanks

Default How can I Setup a Triple or Quad LCD "Multi-Monitor" Computer?

I would like to setup three or four monitors on my computer. I want the screens to have individual properties but also be connected in a panoramic fashion. Can I add more video cards or should I get a ready made unit that supports several monitors? If so, where's a good place to look for one?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Buy multiple NVidia GeForce video cards and install them. Then, use the nView Manager to configure the multi-monitor array in Dualview.
    ....(o_ Penguins
    .---/(o_- techno_racing
    +(---//\-' in
    .+(_)--(_)' The McMurdo 500

Thanks

Not really the right place for a new question, but the short answer is that they simply use different technologies. CRT monitors involve projection, and LCD monitors use many small light up pixels (that are the same size as you see on the screen). That doesn't explain the difference really, but it's just that they are two completely different means of putting an image on screen. So to better answer your question google CRT monitors and flickering and you'll find out why (which will be some property missing for LCD monitors). I'm not sure about the actual reason, though.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

To add a little insight to the original question, you can even use one video card from Nvidia, and another from ATI. I just use Window's built-in display management and ignore the Nvidia and ATI control panels.
    My site: FreshCut :)

Thanks

Built in windows management? What system are you using? Vista/xp?
    I thought at one point, at least, there was a limit to 2 monitors, unless you had something special setup beyond the defaults.

It seems to me like you just need enough vga/dvi ports to connect the monitors, then software that will support multiple displays. But the real question is what software will support it. If windows have this natively, now, that's nice. What's the limit? 4 monitors?

In the case that your system may not natively support enough monitors, then I'd think that a particular brand of graphics card with software meant to expand that limit is the way to go, like suggested in the second post (but probably not exclusive to that one brand). Also, you may not need only that brand, but just one card of that brand, depending on how the software/cards function. Of course you'd have to research that more for details specific to any one brand.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum