Thread: Using External HD As Extra Space

Thanks

Arrow Using External HD As Extra Space

I have a 640 GB external HD, and was wondering if there's a way I can "add" it into my storage space...

Basically, the two HD's (External+Internal) act as one, and my Internal 80 gig gets 640 gigs added onto it...

Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks
    X96 D
    Alex Blackie, X96 Design
    My Website
    I specialize in: HTML5, CSS3, PHP, Ruby on Rails, MySQL, MongoDB, Linux Server Administration

Thanks

Smile

Try link the external HDD as a folder on the internal 80GB.
    So both drives works as one.

But this will need the external HDD always been connected with the PC.

Hope this helps!
    Bill

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PcTestCard.com For This Useful Post:

X96 Web Design (06-07-2009)

Thanks

From my experience partitioning a hard drive is usually what people are trying to do with a hard drive not the other way around. If there is a way to make two drives seem to be as a single drive I am not aware of how this is done but would not recommend trying do this type of thing. The reason why people try to do the opposite of what your trying to do is simply that it makes better use of the drive space. If you have an External hard drive you should just leave it as such. I'm sure you have it as an external because you like the idea of it being transportable, so if that is the case then why would you want to make it so that you can no longer do this? My advise is don't try to make it part of your internal drive. If you want to separate you external into two or more drives I'd say go for it but to do the opposite, well I just would not do that.
    Computer repairs and Photo editing http://www.robinsden.com

Thanks

@PCTestCard.com > Thanks Bill, I'll see if that'll work... I'm going to use it as server space, so it's always on and connected.

@robin9000 > I don't have an external HD to make it portable, because it's not really that portable... There's a big power adapter, which makes it a pain to have to carry. I bought it for extra storage, and now I want to have both my HD's act as one.

What I actually want is for the computer to think it's one HD, not two. So at the bottom of the File browser, instead of saying 42.6 GB Remaining, is adds on the External HD's space (686.4 GB Remaining). Is this possible?

// X96 \\
    Last edited by X96 Web Design; 06-07-2009 at 03:08 PM.
    Alex Blackie, X96 Design
    My Website
    I specialize in: HTML5, CSS3, PHP, Ruby on Rails, MySQL, MongoDB, Linux Server Administration

Thanks

There is a way but I'm not quite sure it works exatcly. I will dig up some dirt on it and let you know.

For 1) i know certain umpc's have features that when you add a SD car it adds that space to the "c" drive.