Thread: Online backup service needed

Thanks

Smile Online backup service needed

Hello

I am searching for a solution that automatically takes incremental backups of my data, so that I stay assured of data stored at the secured data centers without having worry of loosing it.

I was thinking about online backup. Will that be reliable? Please suggest few good options.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I was thinking about online backup. Will that be reliable?
    Hey, it's better than nothing!

Thanks

You can use PHP (or another server side language) to create backups automatically, such as zip files. This takes a bit of work, though you may be able to find some scripts that will to it fairly automatically. The problem is running it, and you can either do it manually (just loading a page and the rest is automated) or schedule a "chron job" which can be difficult to set up.
    I guess there are probably some whole-package solutions, but that also will depend on your hosting setup (if you have permission on the server to install something like that).
    Sometimes your host will create backups automatically, too.
    Anyway, once you've got backups you can just download them reguarly with FTP and that works. It would be very difficult to create an online backup that automatically stores them somewhere secure, though I guess you could try by sending the files from one server to another, so if one crashes the backup is still safe.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

To the OP:
    Are you referring to your data on a hosting account (website, email, etc) or are you talking about your personal data on your computer, laptop, etc? If the first, djr's info is mostly correct; however, you may be able to talk with your host to see if they offer any custom solutions to mirror your website to some other colo servers (this may cost more, but is worth it if you do not make regular backups on your own). If you are looking to backup your personal data, there are several solutions out there and a simple google search should help you with that.

Hope this helps.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks

I used to use Mozy as part of my backup routine. I thoroughly recommend it. I've since switched over to redundant physical backups on my Drobo.

Thanks

Thanks guys for the valuable contributions to my question.

I would like to go for a tool that provides mobile access also since I am a frequent traveller so having my data on any physical drive wont help me. I need a tool specifically that can be used on my BlackBerry using which I would be able to download my important stuff. I did check a few solutions but I am not sure of the mobile access using which I would be able to access files on my BlackBerry

Thanks

This won't work for a full backup, but you can use something like Dropbox or SugarSync to have access to your files from anywhere via a web interface. SugarSync has utilities specifically for the Blackberry, I think.

Thanks

I have just switched to backupandshare.com for their mobile access feature. With hasselfree online backup, I get to access files on my Blackberry. Pretty secure and easy to use.