Thread: Preload images that don't exits

Thanks

Default Preload images that don't exits

Hi

I'm using this code to preload images in my e-commerce website. Can't remember where I got the script but it works.

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

var aryImages = new Array();

aryImages[0] = "prod_1_A.jpg";
    aryImages[1] = "prod_1_B.jpg";
    aryImages[2] = "prod_1_C.jpg";
    aryImages[3] = "prod_1_D.jpg";

for (i=0; i < aryImages.length; i++) {
    var preload = new Image();
    preload.src = aryImages[i];
    }

</script>

I have around 600 products on my site, some have 2 images, some 4 images etc and would like to have one script that does all instead of 600 slightly different scripts.

So, the question is, what happens if I add two more images, prod_1_E & prod_1_F, to the array even tho they don't exist?

I've tried it and it seems to work. Just wanted to know if it's OK or will I hit probs further down the line.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks

No matter how it may seem, that code does not work because it doesn't use a non-volatile array. It will only pre-load the last specified image.

You don't actually need JS to pre-load, but if you're using it anyway you can try this pre-loader:

http://scripterlative.com?preloader

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I'm using the scripterlative Thumbsmart script and the reason for the pre loading is that the main large image sometimes doesn't display until the 4 thumbs are rolled over then it's OK.

Thinking about it, it's only that image so I can just preload that one and I should be able to do that dynamically with a variable.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianric View Post
    Hi

Thanks for the reply. I'm using the scripterlative Thumbsmart script and the reason for the pre loading is that the main large image sometimes doesn't display until the 4 thumbs are rolled over then it's OK.
    That shouldn't happen - do have a URL?