Thread: intermittent error / scrolling problem in IE

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default intermittent error / scrolling problem in IE

hello, I ran into an error today with a website I've been working on. I looked it up on an older machine that uses IE6, and it gave me an error: "parse error, line 1, character 2". That character is the (!) in the doctype. I've never had any problem like this before. The entire page loads (I can see it briefly, and everything shows in the page source), but then everything below the page header disappears. Any ideas? thanks a bunch!
    Last edited by traq; 05-25-2009 at 03:01 AM.

Thanks

The page does not have valid HTML or CSS

Hope this helps.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thetestingsite For This Useful Post:

traq (05-23-2009)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

sh**....

I can't believe I forgot the content-type declaration. The css is not validating because there is a broken stylesheet link being generated in the <head> by my php code, I'll have to figure that out. All of the *real* css information validates.

The html validates now. Can anyone take a look in IE6 and see how it works now (I don't have IE6 at home)? thanks a bunch.

Edit:
    Back at work, the error is still showing, though now less of the page disappears and the error changed to "Parse error: line 2, character 1".
    Last edited by traq; 05-23-2009 at 08:22 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Got it! The problem was being caused by my php code, which uses a variable to pass the names of javascript files to the php code that writes my <head> section. Because there were no special .js needed on this page, I left the variable (array) empty and it was passing a blank string; so a line was created referencing a javascript file named ".js" This was the same reason my css wasn't validating. Thanks again, thetestingsite, for the clue.

Edit:
    Nevermind. This problem is now un-resolved.
    The error does not come up anymore, however, the half-page-only scrolling issue is still coming up intermittently.
    I am now seeing the problem on IE6 and IE7, on three different machines. Most often affected are the index and mouldingdemo pages.
    If anyone has any further ideas or suggestions, I would really appreciate them.
    Last edited by traq; 05-25-2009 at 03:08 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

...my apologies for bumping this.

I would like to clarify my above post: this problem is not resolved.

The html and css validates. I am getting no javascript errors or malformed <link> or <script> tags.

This is where I'm at:

On IE6 and IE7, on Windows NT Server, 98, XP Home & Pro, and Vista, the page displays correctly while the page is still loading - however, after the page load is complete, about half of the page is "cut off" - the scrollbar gets shorter and won't scroll all the way down the page. It doesn't always happen at the same spot. The source code for the entire document seems to be intact. I've observed this on several different machines, both older and newer computers.

The problem is occurring less frequently, but still once every three or four visits. A reload (actually navigating to the page again) will usually correct the problem, but a refresh will not -although a refresh will sometimes cause the problem after the page has displayed correctly.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this issue. I would really like to nail this down and get it solved. Thanks, everyone.