Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel vs. AMD

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Intel vs. AMD

All right. So, as you may know, I got this new processor "AMD Sempron". I was really wanting an "Intel Core 2 Duo". What's the dif between AMD's processors and Intel's processors? Which performs best? I've heard that the Sempron is close to Intel's "Celeron 'D'", the best version of the "Celeron" Processor. I just don't know why I like Intel better, but I do. Just for fun, here is an image:

Spark any ideas? I've even Googled stuff. Some people go for AMD, and some go for Intel.

In a nutshell, which company is best at making processors, and which processors are the best? If that ain't an appropriate question, you get the idea ...

Thanks

Hi in the case of the market at the moment and money for performance intel core 2 duo is a sweet cpu.

*System specs
    1 x Corsair TWIN (2x 1GB) PC-8500 (1066MHz) DDR2 RAM,
    1 x 620W "Corsair" HX-620 ATX Modular Power Supply,
    1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 CPU, 3.16 GHz, FSB 1333MHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 45nm, Socket LGA775
    1 x ASUS P5E-DELUXE S775, X48, FSB1600, DDR2, 2xPCIE2.0
    1 x SAPPHIRE HD4850 512M GDDR3 PCIE 2*D TVO, DX 10.1

1 x Seagate 500GB SATA II 3Gb/s NCQ HDD - 7200rpm, 32MB Cache,
    1 x Seagate 200GB (IDE to usb caddy) HDD - 7200rpm, 8MB Cache,
    2 x western digi 120GB SATA I 1.5Gb/s HDD - 7200rpm, 8MB Cache,
    1 x western digi 80GB SATA I 1.5Gb/s HDD - 7200rpm, 8MB Cache,
    1 x seagate 80GB SATA 1 1.5GB/s HDD - 7200rpm,8MB Cache
    *Network settings
    1 x ADSL modem 1.5/256 internet speed
    1 x 1x WAN, 4x Lan router 10/100, to a 8x port router 10/100/1000

This computer has never crashed yet and runs all the latest games and apps out there i'm also running it on windows XP 32bit not vista

The olny down fall with the motherboard is that it has only USB and firewire and 1x PS2 for keyboard and 1gb lan port built in Sound is HD PCI-E card so if you use alot of old connections like serial ports and alike this board will not suit you.

Latest games played on this system:
    Far Cry 2
    Crises Warhead

The good thing about this motherboard is that I can still upgrade it alot more yet.

Hope this helps you out cya

Thanks
    Blog Entries

This computer has never crashed yet and runs all the latest games and apps out there i'm also running it on windows XP 32bit not vista
    That explains it, then.

Intel is generally more expensive and louder, in my experience, with one exception — their laptop processors beat AMD's a fair bit, so long as you don't try to go for the 64-bit ones: all their desktop 64-bit CPUs are outrageously priced, and hardly anyone uses them. They're better on the higher end of the market, but that may change with AMD's new quad-cores. I haven't really compared them yet.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Quote:
    That explains it, then.

Intel is generally more expensive and louder, in my experience, with one exception — their laptop processors beat AMD's a fair bit, so long as you don't try to go for the 64-bit ones: all their desktop 64-bit CPUs are outrageously priced, and hardly anyone uses them. They're better on the higher end of the market, but that may change with AMD's new quad-cores. I haven't really compared them yet.
    Well when it comes to betting each other it depends on alot of factors and what parts are being used in the test and so on i think both companys do a great job at making cpu's just at the moment intel is leading the game I spent 2 months doing alot of chip and motherboard and ram checks and reviews read alot of them in the end i found 1 motherboard that fit all my needs. The system specs stated in my last post before was a low cost gaming system and it dose a great job at it i should of brought 4 gig of ddr2 ram at 1600fsb ram instead.

Here is a few photos of my server room and lounge room.

The Black Thermaltake tower is my gaming system that i give the specs for before, the Silver Thermaltake is the computer i'm typing to you now onis a AMD 939 3800+ on a DFI NF3 motherboard 4x 512 DDR ram (ex game system), it also is my prime 95 system to find prime numbers. The Blue Thermaltake is my (NAS) Network-attached storage AMD 2600+ 32bit single core 2 gig ddr ram the bottom. The Big White tower is a SCSI array with 4x 9.1 gig 10,000 rpm HDDs hooked to the (NAS) beside that array, is a DNS server when i get it going and the other 2 systems are P4 2.4 gigs i will hook them together with linux or windows server to run as a server some day.

I sit in here, this is also were my computer screen and projector placed:

So you can get an idea of how big the screen is i have a tv beside the big screen. As you can see the thumbnails of the screen shots in the folder on the bigscreen are as big as the TV screen beside it.

Here is a picture of the tv beside my 17 inch monitor

If you were woundering how do i see all the computer when i have only one screen well thats easy i run everything throw a KVM switch so i can view and manage all the computers from my lounge room. just a pain if you want to swap games all the time you have to go and change the cd hehe but everything has its pro's and con's/

As you can tell I have never played with computers before 8)

Sorry the photos are not more clear but i took them on my phone cam.

Thanks

intel is reliable for me

Thanks

Both processors are good but The higher end Intel CPU's beat AMD. With that said though most people are on a bugget and don't have a cool grand to put down on the latest and greatest Intel CPU. If your looking at this more in terms that make sence AMD offers more bang for your buck.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

With AMD's new quad-cores out, I'm not so sure that's true any more. I think that I would like to see some sort of evidence to back that one up.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

from my experience Intel is good for business and servers while AMD is good for gaming

Thanks
    Blog Entries

How do you come to that conclusion? The demands for both tasks (on a CPU) are roughly the same.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm leaning towards Intel. I just feel more comfortable with them.
    ....(o_ Penguins
    .---/(o_- techno_racing
    +(---//\-' in
    .+(_)--(_)' The McMurdo 500