Thread: Enter code in address bar to be able to edit the page

Thanks

Default Enter code in address bar to be able to edit the page

What is the code you enter into the address bar of any site to be able to change the html content within the site? I cant remember if it had anything to do with DHTML or JAVA or HTML. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Im trying to prank a buddy of mine.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Javascript can do this, but it depends upon what you want to change it to. The change will only be temporary.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Yes. I was looking for the code that does this. It defaces a site page. Im trying to do it as a prank to someone but cant find the code that does it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

You can do something as simple as:

Code:
    javascript:document.write('Who\'s Your Daddy?')
    Paste that into the address bar, hit enter, and the page will disappear, replaced by:

Who's Your Daddy?

But, as I say, it really depends upon what you want to have happen. Further, the code could be obfuscated, so that it would be less obvious what the result would be:

Code:
    javascript:document.write(unescape('%57%68%6f\%27%73%20%59%6f%75%72%20%44%61%64%64%79%3f'))
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I believe he was looking for the design mode and content editable on, saw something recently like this and navigated to it.
    Code:
    javascript:document.body.contentEditable%20=%20'true';%20document.designMode='on';%20void%200
    Like John said, this is temporary. It only makes the whole page a giant text editor.
    Jeremy | jfein.net