Thread: print css / background images

Thanks

Default print css / background images

Well I thought I had been learning and doing the right things.... not so sure any more. I have a customer who is happy with site and functionality but asked why when he printed a form, that the labels did not show up.

Well I went css/div and the labels are all background images.

So I started googling and found that both IE and FF can be turned on to print them, but then it prints the entire page/site. I even read some of the old threads on here that seem to be related.

I thought ok, I will write a print window that cuts out the header/footer and any other unnecessary colors/images/buttons and just shows the form and those images. Then I think I am back to the same ball park of having div/background print problems

How SHOULD I go about allowing the labels to be seen and printed? I am not a css expert. I saw where there is a different type/media option for print but do not know if that will solve my problem. I am ok with writing a separate print css but wont I run into the same issue?

Unfortunately I cant show you the site/code because it is protected.... and there is a non disclosure. I have attached a screen shot with the labels blurred out.

Any ideas? direction? Thanks for the help in advance.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Also, due to the print behavior - entirely under the control of the user's browser - to choose not to print background images, important information like labels should be foreground text.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

awesome tutorial but not really where i Needed to go. however now I know what to do with some other things I am working on.

I just wrote a separate page without the images and dressed up differently and cleaner for the printer.

thanks for the info though