Thread: overflow-x, overflow-y, and validation.

Thanks

Default overflow-x, overflow-y, and validation.

Hi all,

When you are using overflow-x and overflow-y, and you have a standard validation link on your site, do you:

A. Accept the validation errors.
    B. Change your validation link to use CSS3 and a static URL (is it even possible to check the referring URL against CSS3? I can't find a way).
    C. Bite the bullet and remove the overflow properties.
    D. Something else.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,382 Posts
    Blog Entries

There's no reason to have such a link.

But there are often (perhaps always - but no guarantees) ways to deal with the situation (to get CSS 2 validation and have your page behave as desired) using width and/or height (perhaps other style properties) values combined with overflow auto or hidden, and a nested element, or whatever, as the situation might require. It's more complex, but will validate. CSS 3 is still AFAIK just a draft, so I'm not sure if there is anyway to get your page validated in it, at least not by the W3C.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jlizarraga View Post
    is it even possible to check the referring URL against CSS3? I can't find a way
    Yes, if you click on "More Options" you can pick the level. It's probably a test version so you shouldn't trust it too much.
    Eddy Proca
    I love Dropbox. Get it through my girlfriend's referral link (I reached my limit) and both you and her get 500 MB extra! Thanks and you're welcome!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    There's no reason to have such a link.

But there are often (perhaps always - but no guarantees) ways to deal with the situation (to get CSS 2 validation and have your page behave as desired) using width and/or height (perhaps other style properties) values combined with overflow auto or hidden, and a nested element, or whatever, as the situation might require. It's more complex, but will validate. CSS 3 is still AFAIK just a draft, so I'm not sure if there is anyway to get your page validated in it, at least not by the W3C.
    No reason to have a validation link, or no reason to have a link other than the standard referrer-checking link?

Also I think the solution you described is a lot less desirable then any of the options I mentioned, lol. I know you are the standards evangelist type, but I'm the type who uses innerHTML='blah' over element.appendChild(document.createTextNode('blah')).

Quote Originally Posted by Snookerman View Post
    Yes, if you click on "More Options" you can pick the level. It's probably a test version so you shouldn't trust it too much.
    Ah, but if you are clicking on "More Options" then you either went to the validator directly, or followed the normal referrer-checking link, saw the errors, and then changed the options. I was wondering if there's a way to still check the referrer but use the CSS3 profile.

The reason is that the validation links are in the footer that each page shares, and some pages use different CSS files than others, so to link to just the main CSS file isn't really proving that the whole site is valid.

What about PHP? I know about zilch PHP, but I would think I could echo out the current page's URL, right? How would I go about that?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Add this to the end of the referer link:
    Code:
    ?profile=css3
    Example: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/check/referer?profile=css3

Good luck!
    Eddy Proca
    I love Dropbox. Get it through my girlfriend's referral link (I reached my limit) and both you and her get 500 MB extra! Thanks and you're welcome!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Snookerman For This Useful Post:

jlizarraga (04-23-2009)

Thanks

Thank you so much!

Now if only the CSS3 profile validated multiple background images!
    Last edited by jlizarraga; 04-23-2009 at 09:30 PM. Reason: more info