Thread: Site looking different in IE

Thanks

Default Site looking different in IE

So this site ive been working on went live today. and it displays beautifully in Firefox but in IE 7.0 everything is pushed far to the right. I am thinking that the CSS places the text content to close to the header img and that causes it to margin right 160px (taht is what I have it set to do in CSS) but since its too high it shifts right of the header 160px. Anyone else got any ideas? http://potluckyarn.com/prologue.html

Thanks

Step 1 in getting cross-browser compliant websites: Validate your (X)HTML.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medyman For This Useful Post:

The Red (04-13-2009)

Thanks

TY for the response. The software I'm using is the not the SW I'm used to. This is a good place for me to start anyhow. Thnx again

Thanks
    Blog Entries

And for cross-browser markup that's HTML, preferably 4.01 Strict, not XHTML. Also, don't use pixel sizes for positioning.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    And for cross-browser markup that's HTML, preferably 4.01 Strict, not XHTML. Also, don't use pixel sizes for positioning.
    What would you use instead of px?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Usually, for elements that contain text or interact with elements that contain text, you should use ems and for other elements your could use percentages.
    Eddy Proca
    I love Dropbox. Get it through my girlfriend's referral link (I reached my limit) and both you and her get 500 MB extra! Thanks and you're welcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Not necessarily... percentages are fine for textual elements as well (although it's often a good idea to set a minimum width in ems in that case).

As Snookerman says, though, the majority of the time you should be using ems or percentages. ems produce a fixed layout and percentages a fluid one; which you use is up to you (percentages are usually better if possible since they resize automatically if the user adjusts the window, but ems should always be OK if the user has the window maximised, and if not the user can resize them to fit). The only things you would ever want to size in pixels in a website layout are images. Since most image formats are pixel-based (embedded SVG isn't widely supported yet), it might make sense to size their containing elements with pixels. However, you must be very careful when doing so, since in a poorly planned design, a single pixel-sized element can restrict others that needn't be pixel-sized in ways you might not expect. Again, ems or percentages for the dimensions and then pixels for minimum dimensions will serve you well. Additionally, any large images (> 100px▓) should not have pixel sizing at all. It's better for part of your pretty image to be obscured on a small display (remember that some mobile devices are as small as 240px by 320px) than for your site become unreadable.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Thx for the info I will update and let you know how it goes. Thx again for the help.