Thread: External Hard-Drive - OS

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default External Hard-Drive - OS

Okay, so I have a problem with my Maxtor external hard drive. I installed Ubuntu on it, however, now I want to take Ubuntu off because it is unusable. When I put the hard drive into my computer, it doesn't recognize it as a drive. When I go to My Computer, I don't see it there. I've searched everywhere on my computer, but I can't seem to find it. How do I format my external hard drive?! Thanks!
    Last edited by Twey; 03-30-2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Make title readable.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

If Ubuntu is unusable, perhaps the hard drive is corrupted, or perhaps the hardware is broken?

Either way, you should find it somewhere in your Computer Management application.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

From Desktop My Computer Icon, right click and selelct Manage.
    From the left side of the pop up windows, left click on the Disk management.
    Check right windows for the HDDs info.

If you see the external HDD there, you can repartiton, format and make the drive visible to the windows XP or Vista!

Hope this helps!
    Bill

Thanks

If you can't see the drive that means it must be corrupted. Windows shouldn't care what is on it, wheter it is Linux or whatever, it should still show up.

Cheers,

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks! I formatted the drive, however, this drive did have a name. Drive F:, however, NOW it DOESN'T have a name! I am unable to read it because it doesn't have a name or SOMETHING! What should I do? Here is a screenshot of what I see:

My Computer Manager
    My Computer

The drive that doesn't have a name- disk 1- that's it. Does anyone have ANY idea about what to do? Thanks!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It simply requires formatting.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Aye, but I don't understand how I would format it. I rightclick on the drive and it won't format it. I go into the command prompt and try it, but it doesn't recognize the drive. Again,

Thanks
    Blog Entries

In the Computer Manager. I would imagine it to be in the Action menu.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I almost forgot something- when I installed Ubuntu, I partitioned the drive (or something like that) so that there would be a little bit of free space (3 gb approx.) and the rest allocated for Ubuntu (89 gb approx.). Does that help? It still won't let me format the drive. I'm thinking it's because of the partition stuff.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Anyone? Please?