Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Problems with cyrillic/CSS in Firefox (re-post)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Problems with cyrillic/CSS in Firefox (re-post)

    I posted this question in the HTML section but (unusually) received no replies, so I thought I'd stick it in here too to see if anyone could help. I hope that is allowed.

    I am having problems putting Russian scrip into a webpage.

    I write all my sites using notepad. I thought I had resolved the problem by saving the files as UNICODE instead of ANSI, but although this seems to work fine for IE, I have just discovered that it doesn't work with Firefox. Although the Russian script still appears when viewed in Firefox, none of the CSS formatting is applied. I can get the CSS formatting back by saving the file as ANSI but then I lose the Russian script (it just goes to ???????? instead of по-русски).

    This site in quesion is www.elenadearden.com

    I realise that the charset is wrong but I've tried changing this offline and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

    I would really appreciate any help that anyone could offer with this, as I am totally stuck. I only design sites as a hobby so my knowledge is limited.

    Thanks.

    Rob
    Last edited by robertsaunders; 03-27-2009 at 08:30 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Currently: New York/Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,735
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 519 Times in 507 Posts

    Default

    You should set a character encoding for your HTML. It doesn't only matter how you save the text file, the browser has to be able to read it right. You can do that via the Content-Type meta tag.

    More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charact...odings_in_HTML

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medyman For This Useful Post:

    robertsaunders (03-27-2009)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for your reply. I have now managed to resolve the problem by saving the file as UTF-8 instead on unicode and changing the meta-tag to:
    Code:
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
    Спасибо!

    Роб

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •