Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A easier applications than photoshop

Thanks

Default A easier applications than photoshop

Hi, Is there an applications for graphic design easier to use than photoshop? if so, then what's it?

Paul Weinstock
    Last edited by djr33; 03-30-2009 at 11:44 PM. Reason: removed signature

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I find Inkscape much easier to use for initial design. Photoshop is a photo-editing package, which is a pretty heavy task; it (and similar software packages) will of course be difficult to use for beginners and require some introduction.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Photoshop is the best... that is, most powerful and industry standard. If you want something else, then what are you willing to not have? There are a lot of options, but it's hard to recommend one over photoshop just because you haven't learned it all yet. For example, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic, MS Paint is, I think, much easier than Photoshop, but just not useful for anything. Inkscape as Twey said might be a good idea, though I haven't used it myself. Some people like Fireworks (though its future is uncertain since both Photoshop and Fireworks are owned by Adobe now, so I really doubt it'll be around for that long). You could also try a vector based program like Illustrator (though I find that actually harder than photoshop), or maybe something simpler like a template design program with stock graphics and mostly just layout controls.
    For simpler tasks, Photoshop is kinda overkill, but it also gives you options you won't have in an "easier" program.
    (There's also the GIMP, basically the open source almost-photoshop clone, but I find it harder to work with than Photoshop, so no real point in switching to it.)

I've always liked Paint Shop Pro, and it is almost as powerful as Photoshop in many ways, but much cheaper and maybe easier to get into-- I used it first before I got PS.
    I still have a copy of Paint Shop Pro 5 (they're on v10 now or something), and it gets what I need done whenever I happen to still use it. Maybe you could find a cheap copy of that on ebay or something.

But overall, I would say that if you already have photoshop available (so saving money isn't an issue), give it a try. You will need to get used to how it works in general, but it is not a very difficult program once you give it some time. Everyone I know who's tried to use it has become reasonably proficient. Using it as an advanced user is more difficult, but of course if you never get to the more advanced options you'll basically have your "easier program" anyway, just that you ignore the harder stuff in photoshop. For basic things it's not more difficult than anything else (at least not to a great degree), and then you would, if you ever need it, have the more complex options available to you right in the same program. If you have the time to read a book, I would highly recommend "Sam's teach yourself Photoshop in 24 hours."

Anyway, take a look at Inkscape, consider purchasing an older version of Paint Shop Pro, and then if neither of these is what you want, just get started with Photoshop and I'm sure you'll be productive with it quickly. (It's not weird to be a bit daunted by it at first, but it won't feel that way for long.)
    Last edited by djr33; 03-19-2009 at 06:09 PM.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You could also try a vector based program like Illustrator (though I find that actually harder than photoshop)
    Inkscape falls into this category, too. Note that vector drawing programs don't perform the same task as photo-editors like PhotoShop and the GIMP, although they do have some overlap — if the task you need is in that category (things like graphic design as opposed to actual photo-editing), Inkscape would be a good choice for you. I have never tried Illustrator, but I wouldn't recommend it by default because it's a fairly expensive proprietary app, and also tied to either Win32 or Mac OS, which means it will be awkward although not necessarily impossible if you use other operating systems (Linux, BSDs, 64-bit Windows, &c.). Nevertheless, if you happen to be using a system Adobe likes, the option exists, of course.

Unlike Daniel, I find the GIMP quite easy to use, or at least as easy to use as I would expect from a photo-editor. I'm admittedly not a professional, but it took me a lot longer to get accustomed to PhotoShop (v9) than it did to the GIMP. I found it quite counter-intuitive. The GIMP is, as far as I know, every bit as powerful as PhotoShop, although some of the more obscure features do require plugins (raw-format processing, CMYK support [although that may have been integrated into the main distribution now; I seem to remember reading something about it, but I'm hazy on the details]).

The most obvious conclusion to draw from my and Daniel's differing experiences is that what's right for you may not be the same as what's right for someone else. Photo-editing is a complex task, and it's normal to be a little set back at the start. With that in mind, if you really do feel it's taking longer than it ought, maybe give one of the other applications we've mentioned a try.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

I said that the GIMP isn't relevant to this discussion because it's about as hard as Photoshop (I found it harder, but that's not particularly important) and he already has Photoshop available... no point in going with GIMP, then... might as well use it if it's sitting there.

As for inkscape, yes, it's vector, but I wouldn't say the same as illustrator, though I have little experience with either, but simply because you're calling it easy-- I didn't find illustrator to be so at all.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

it's about as hard as Photoshop
    As I said above, I disagree.

As for inkscape, yes, it's vector, but I wouldn't say the same as illustrator, though I have little experience with either, but simply because you're calling it easy-- I didn't find illustrator to be so at all.
    The category of which I spoke was that of vector-based drawing applications. I haven't tried Illustrator, so I can't make any comparative judgements there, but I didn't find Inkscape too hard to get to grips with.

Thanks

I'd expect inkscape is easier. (Not sure "easy", but easier than illustrator anyway.)

I don't think you have a particularly strong claim that the GIMP is easier than Photoshop, because I feel the other way, and we're both strongly attached to each respectively, so I'd say it's about even. And they aren't all that similar in interface, obviously, because we are so opinionated about it. But I don't think either is significantly easier than the other.

Thanks

I think have some software easier Photoshop, but you can't make a good thing as you want.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't think you have a particularly strong claim that the GIMP is easier than Photoshop, because I feel the other way, and we're both strongly attached to each respectively, so I'd say it's about even.
    Thus my claim that it probably differs from person to person

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Just my 2 cents here, I basically agree. I use Paint Shop Pro 7, after having started with 5. Even now I often learn new things about it. But, having used it for years I've developed a familiarity with it so as it is much more intuitive to me than it was when I first used it. I think any graphics program worth its salt will be like this, regardless if it is just a drawing program or a full image editor. Either type of program, if it has any real power, will take some getting used to. It's just the nature of the beast. If you want to become proficient at either or both tasks, the best thing to do in my opinion would be to choose a program or programs that you like for practical reasons (price, compatibility with your OS, its ability to do the tasks you want to accomplish - things like that), then set about the gradual process of familiarizing yourself with it. Once you get used to it, you will feel a bit like a graphics God.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate