Thread: W3C Cannot Validate with the script notice

Thanks

Default W3C Cannot Validate with the script notice

1) Script Title: Chrome CSS Drop Down Menu v2.5

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/chrome/

3) Describe problem: W3C Cannot check this document.

If I remove the script notice, it checks perfectly, what character is causing the problem, and is there a simple way to change the encoding or the doctype declaration?

This occurs on this page: http://www.thesoundsmith.com/private/a_test.htm and on others that I have used the script on.

This is the message:

1. Error

Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on line 9 it contained one or more bytes that I cannot interpret as utf-8 (in other words, the bytes found are not valid values in the specified Character Encoding). Please check both the content of the file and the character encoding indication.

The error was: utf8 "\xA9" does not map to Unicode

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You're using the UTF-8 encoding for your Web page, but your editor is not saving in UTF-8. You need to set it to save in UTF-8.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    You're using the UTF-8 encoding for your Web page, but your editor is not saving in UTF-8. You need to set it to save in UTF-8.
    It IS set to save in UTF-8, but I copied in the line that fails from your site download. I then tried copying the notice to a new file opened as UTF-8, copy and paste resave, o the doc thinks it is UTF-8, but it still fails. It MUST be in the character stream from the downloaded file. Is it okay to just retype it? When I re-enter the text manually, it encodes just fine.
    Last edited by thesoundsmith; 03-11-2009 at 09:23 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It's the © character that's causing problems. Try copying and pasting it from these forums — perhaps your editor doesn't do re-encoding of pasted text properly. If all else fails, you can encode it as the HTML character entity ©.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I've had this problem before; I just rewrite it as (c)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    It's the © character that's causing problems. Try copying and pasting it from these forums — perhaps your editor doesn't do re-encoding of pasted text properly. If all else fails, you can encode it as the HTML character entity ©.
    Yeah, I figured that out after I retyped the notice. I thought this was a deliberately encoded character in the text (to "prove authenticity", or some such???) But when I retyped, I entered the coded way and it's just fine. Thanks to both of you. just trying to follow the spirit of the site...