Thread: Review and Test student project

Thanks

Default Review and Test student project

Hi,

I am currently doing the testing stages of my 3rd year project at university and i would like some feedback about:
    • what you think
    • how it handles
    • where it crashes
    • concerns/questions about processes
    • look and feel
    • possible future improvements

I have devised some simple tests as shown below. If you are interested in helping and exploring then please complete a test or two and provide some feedback, anything will do and constructive criticism is always welcome.

All data entered on the website should have reduced sensitivity but all will be removed from the database once testing has been completed.

Thanks

Test 1:
    Registering

All fields are required when completing the page. Try to use realistic details if you do not want to specify about location details and sensitive data. Also please use your real email address as this will be required to complete the registering process.

Test 2:
    Creating a sale

First sign in, available usernames and passwords are at the bottom.
    The date range and location details of the sale are not required when saving for editing later but are for creating a sale. When the fake paypal page appears on the creating a sale process, just use any 16 digit number.

Test 3:
    Editing a sale

Only sales that are saved are allowed to be edited. Currently editing a sale means only editing what is there already. Depending on feedback, i will decide whether i do or do not need to be able to add more items through editing.

Test 4:
    Searching for a sale

When searching for a sale, only sales that are currently active will appear. If you do not know any that are active, then simply create one under the users provided. Or register yourself

If there are any more questions then please do let me know & give me any feedback, even if you just hate the look and feel & you can give a reason then thats great.

Thank you for your time and thank you to those who will take the time to participate.

http://mudfoot.doc.stu.mmu.ac.uk/stu...llm/ehomeboot/

test user 1:
    username: jonesy1
    password: password

test user 2:
    username: smithy1
    password: password

Oh and it is best to use firefox when testing the site. The AJAX doesnt work for some reason in IE, i'v built the same AJAX previously and it works in IE but i dont know why.
    Last edited by city_coder; 02-26-2009 at 09:55 AM.
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Thanks

try windmill or selenium

Thanks

Errors found while checking this document as XHTML 1.0 Transitional!

Result: 31 Errors, 3 warning(s)

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...2F%3Fref%3Dnav

You better fix your xhtml mistakes. And I think that unless there is a really good reason not to, any new site, should be using the strict variety of HTML or XHTML.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback so far, but i was more looking for comments about the site, not whether it passes xhtml checks. This is more testing the functionality than testing whether it complies with rules and regulations.

As for the automative testing software, great, but again i dont get feedback from the software.

If you can take the time to actually use the site than to just look at it i would be very grateful.

Thank you
    The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

Thanks

I did use it and every search I did didn't give any results. Also I had to struggle to know this, because you have a tiny "No results found" message at the bottom of the page when it should be at the very top in BIG RED LETTERS!

Fix the validation errors if you want to be taken seriously.

Good luck.

Thanks

Ok thats good, thats exactly what i am looking for. Thank you. The main reason there was nothing was because nobody has created anything. It is supposed to be a user driven system.

Anyone else willing to create something? It really doesnt matter what, just your comments on what you think about the process for creating. Then others will be able to search for it if you make it advertiseable.

Thanks

Lightbulb Suggestions - ??

A few points that I found confusing and things that would have helped me -
    1) not being able to edit a boot sale after publishing could be annoying if any typo's or mistakes were made or when adding more to the advert is impossible even when the sale is published or saved - maybe a confirmation email could help the user to see if they have made any mistakes
    2) When searching for sales only the sales happening on that day are visible; either make this obvious or make the database less strict along with showing what else is in the person's boot sale could be useful

Thanks

Does nobody want to comment? Even something as petty as you dont like the look and feel and the reason would be good. Its not hard people, i know you all have busy lives but spare 5 minutes please.

Thank you