Advanced Search

Thread: making larger images load faster?

Thanks

Default making larger images load faster?

I was wonder if there was a code to split a very large background image into smaller pieces so it will load faster. Because I am using a 1330x900 (ish) image for my website background but dont want it too look bad for those that dont have very fast internet. any ideas on how to fix that?

link
    ------------------
    Check out my site here and let me know what you think

Thanks

That's a huge image and probably a bad idea. Something that large is going to take a long time.

You can compress it and should, though it may lose some quality to get it down a reasonable size.

Another option that makes sense is using a progressive format, like JPG, where it will load the entire image at a lower resolution and display that while loading the detail-- just when saving a JPG there should be an option for this.

Finally, you could split it, but it will take just as long to load, though just be loaded in chunks one by one. The easiest option here is "slices" and that's possible in various graphics programs, but using it for a background would require layering elements on top of each other on your page, another bad idea.

Basically, try to get the size of the image down, compress it more, and use a progressive loading image.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

So what your saying is if its a jpg image (which it is) it will load fast but at a crappy quality and then get better?
    ------------------

Thanks

I think im just going to go with an interlaced PNG image. that was the "effect" i was going for.
    ------------------