Thread: AVG Anti-Virus

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default AVG Anti-Virus

So, I had Norton Anti-Virus, but it was a trial version. (go figure)

I decided to uninstall it as it was about to expire. I did not want to pay more money for it. Thus, after I uninstalled it, I decided to install another anti-virus program. AVG Anti-Virus, the freeware version. Would anybody happen to know the quality of AVG Anti-Virus? Thanks.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

AVG is one of the best free anti-virus programs out there. It updates frequently and will find just about anything. If you don't want to pay for Norton, AVG is the way to go.

This is what CNET thinks about it:
    This antivirus program offers rock-solid protection. AVG Free provides the bare necessities, including a real-time shield to prevent infections, anti-virus and anti-malware wrapped up in one engine, and a link scanner for Web surfing with care.

By default, the application is set to search for new virus definitions daily, but you always can use the scheduling tool to change this. Should a virus create serious system problems, AVG creates a rescue disk to scan your computer in MS-DOS mode. The program doesn't tax your system when scanning or when running in the background and always proved effective in our tests. The new interface is much easier to navigate than in previous version, with tabbed navigation on the left assisting users in drilling down to the tools they need.

Though the free version of this program will suffice for average folks, those who demand more control should certainly consider AVG Anti-Virus Professional.
    Good luck!
    Eddy Proca
    I love Dropbox. Get it through my girlfriend's referral link (I reached my limit) and both you and her get 500 MB extra! Thanks and you're welcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That was true before, but since they merged Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, and Anti-Rootkit, the suite as a whole has become much heavier. It's still good software, but remember that it comes at a hefty price (in memory and CPU time).
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snookerman
    AVG is one of the best free anti-virus programs out there. It updates frequently and will find just about anything. If you don't want to pay for Norton, AVG is the way to go.
    Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    That was true before, but since they merged Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, and Anti-Rootkit, the suite as a whole has become much heavier. It's still good software, but remember that it comes at a hefty price (in memory and CPU time).
    Lol. I started a scan, opened up task manager, and AVG's, well, SEE FOR YOURSELF. 100% CPU usage. 40% Physical memory. Ouch.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Silly Windows can't count. By my calculations you should have 2% left.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gates (?)
    2% ought to be enough for anybody!
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

I think AVG is pay-only now too.

Thanks

A very good anti-virus program is Avira Free Edition, I use it, and it works fine for me.

The only thing is when it updates, a promotion box for their not-free anti virus pops up, but you can just click OK and it closes.

It's saved my computer from lots of virus attacks. And it's available for Unix and Windows .

I'd recommend it.
    Last edited by X96 Web Design; 02-28-2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: can't spell and wnated to add smiley faces!
    Alex Blackie, X96 Design
    My Website
    I specialize in: HTML5, CSS3, PHP, Ruby on Rails, MySQL, MongoDB, Linux Server Administration