Hey Guys,

Just hoping for some feedback on my new site:

www.kiddyjunction.ca

All comments are appreciated.

SDO

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I really like the menu! Nice!

One thing that you should consider is to not use tables for layout, take a look at this article:
    http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/everything.html

Thanks

haha that was fast, thanks a lot

Thanks

I also like the layout However the only suggestion I would make would be a different color link and link hover. I feel that the default blue is a tack color. And in this case I don't think that it really does justice to the rest of the layout, but that is just my opinion. Great Job!

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback Illustrious.

The links were originally just a bold black, which was a nice look, but I was concerned that the average user may have had a hard time noticing/distinguishing the links, so i just made them blue for the interim.

Perhaps you're right though, I could have put a little more imagination into it haha, Ill think on it.

Thanks again!

SDO

Thanks

I like the design and the extra features you have added to make the site work, the only concern I do have is that each page doesn't follow the same design and I think that people like consistent design. I can see what you are trying to do but I think the notice board background would work better as the background.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Oh, I didn't realise there were meant to be different pages — you don't have any fallback content for non-Flash users, completely breaking your site (the HTML links at the bottom are not nearly prominent enough to serve as fallback navigation, and the bottom of the page is the worst place to have navigation anyway). There's some weird asynchronous loading stuff going on there, too, breaking the page model and the advantages it provides, like bookmarking and browser-based navigation.

The use of tables for layout has already been mentioned, but even though you profess W3C compliance, you're using an outdated Transitional DOCTYPE rather than a modern Strict one (and the page doesn't follow either). Use the W3C validator during development to make sure you're sticking to your chosen DOCTYPE (it's not an exhaustive test, but it's pretty good so long as you're only checking the markup; it won't check Javascript, though, nor CSS [although there is a separate CSS validator for that]).

1. Home page: fairly reasonable, except for the menu. When clicking the subsections, however, the URL changes strangely, and there is no obvious way to get back home for users (despite being enabled, the 'home' button appears disabled). The browser check is broken on my browser: the fields remain empty:
      Code:
      You're using Mozilla Version 1.9 .
      You have JavaScript enabled, and are using a good version of Flash .

Browser: 	
      Version: 	
      JavaScript: 	
      Flash:
      The error console reports that you are using the non-standard innerHTML property, and badly:
      Error: document.getElementById("browser").innerHTML is not a function
      Source File: http://www.kiddyjunction.ca/script_test.html
      Line: 351
      You should avoid it: use standard DOM methods instead. Moreover, though, this whole page is useless: if your viewer's browser 'isn't compatible' with your site then it's your error, and needs to be corrected (with the exception of browsers that don't follow the basic standards).

You also mean to say 'its compatibility' not 'it's compatibility': this may be pedantry under other circumstances, but in the context of a website for an institution that claims to be capable of educating children, bad English does not make a good impression, especially such elementary errors.

Websites are always under construction, but taunting users with links and then presenting them with an 'under construction' page is bad practice: if it's not there, don't link to it; in fact, don't mention it at all, unless it's to say 'coming soon'.
    2. Philosophy page: this whole page is a single image. This poses difficulties for people with unusual viewing requirements, since they can neither override the colours or sizes to make it visible nor play it with a screen-reader. There isn't even any appropriate alt text. The image needs to be removed and replaced with the content displayed within it.
    3. Teachers page: having the text on those fixed-sized images is fragile: if the user's font sizes are not what you expect, the text breaks out of the containers and becomes difficult to read. The teachers' names are images, an approach with all the issues mentioned in the section above, but also disallowing alt text (this being the main reason why content should never appear in background images).
    4. Gallery page: this page is entirely Flash, which is even worse than the page that was entirely an image (at least images have fairly solid support). Again, no fallback is provided. The frame around the Flash breaks on my browser (Fx3) too: I suspect this is due to my resolution being 1600×1200, but it points to a fragile and inflexible pixel-based design.
    5. Menu page: again, it's an image. Since it's an image map, reasonable support could be provided for non-visual or non-image users by providing appropriate alts, but the alts have been left explicitly blank. Either way, it will be impossible to read even for some people who are browsing visually, and it's not good to force one's users to rely on alt text if not strictly necessary.
    6. Contact page: The best page so far. Despite being an image, the telephone number does at least contain reasonable alt text. All the important information on the page (except the menu, alas) is text, and the page is easily accessible with a screen-reader or text-based browser.
    7. Registration page: The alt text for the 'Sign Up!' image is, confusingly, 'Questions'. Technically, this page is relatively good, but it contains a lot of English errors. This may be a dialectical difference, but I think the common term for 'waitlist' (or 'wait list'; your usage is inconsistent) is 'waiting list'. 'Sign up form' grammatically must be written 'sign-up form' lest it be misinterpreted as 'sign up-form' 'Vancouver' should be capitalised in the address, and 'wait-list registration' (or 'waiting-list registration') also needs to be hyphenated. You have misspelt 'immediately' (as 'immedietly'). Your comma usage in the third sentence on the form is highly odd and entirely ungrammatical in at least one instance: it should properly be 'Please note however that if you have chosen an alternative payment method, like cheque, for your registration fee, your child will lose their position after a week has passed without payment.' The parenthetical commas around 'like cheque' are necessary to avoid ambiguity, and those around 'however' must either be balanced or removed entirely (I recommend the latter, lest the sentence appear long-winded by dint of too many clauses). Generally we would say that 'the payment method is by cheque' rather than 'the payment method is cheque', using a sort of implicit indirect quotation; however, when the preposition is inserted the 'like' becomes ungrammatical. To correct this, I think the only option is to rephrase it as something like 'such as by check'. The capitalisation on your form is inconsistent — you say 'Phone Number' (should probably be 'telephone' on a formal, er, form, too) but 'Are you the guardian' — title case for one, but sentence case for the other.

Oops — I appear to have let my inner grammar Nazi out again. Nevertheless, it is important — you should perhaps consider having your site professionally proof-read (or contact me elsewhere, and I'll provide you with a more in-depth evaluation: once I started looking for grammatical errors I found them on other pages, too, but I think I've already been quite picky enough for one review).
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Default Dial-up users

I am a Dial-up user and I just have to say after 5 minutes of waiting I gave up. The site looks cool after the intro finally opens but then it's another waiting game. Over and over again.

Really need somthing for your dial-up users.

Thanks

It loaded fairly quickly for me. Generally I think Flash sucks, unless it is superquick and subtle.

The site looks great, but the flash could be it's downfall.

It is also interesting and kinda funny that you have a "Browser Check" section. At first I thought after I clicked on it it would tell me if my kids could access ****o or something. What makes this even more humorous is that the "Browser Check" is on top of, and therefore more important than "Child Care Resources" and the "Calender" that has the important events.

To sum it up, it looks GREAT. Just hope it is usable. And I'd get rid of the "Browser Check", or at least put it at the bottom of the page.

If you can, read "Don't Make Me Think" by Steve Krug.

Thanks

I looked at a few more pages and there are some minor problems with graphics. The gallery page for example, the top of the black box ( rounded corners I guess) float above the rest of the box. I'm using firefox 3 on Linux. Also the teachers page took a while to load. Maybe 15 seconds. I have a fairly fast connection.

Good Luck