Thread: mySQL Calculations

Thanks

Default mySQL Calculations

Hello,

How would i go about performing this calculation using mysql?

$TotalCost = $Price+($LineRental*12)-$Discount-$Cost;

All of the above of fields from a table **except for TotalCost**

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Er...
    Code:
    SELECT price + line_rental * 12 - discount - cost FROM some_table;
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Twey For This Useful Post:

nikomou (01-19-2009)

Thanks

thanks twey, but i forgot to mention that $discount is not a field in the table, and it is calculated as so:

PHP Code:
    // Show linerental

if($Monthsfree != "0") {

$InfoString "<strong>$Monthsfree Months</strong> Free Line Rental";

$Discount $Monthsfree*$LineRental;
    }

if(
    $Monthshalf != "0") {

$InfoString .= "<br /><strong>$Monthshalf Months</strong> ½ Price Line Rental";

$Discount $Monthshalf*($LineRental/2);
    }

if(
    $Cashback != "0") {

$InfoString .= "<br /><strong>$Instant";

$InfoString .= "&pound;$Cashback Cash Back!</strong>";

$Discount $Cashback;

knew it wasnt as easy as u made out! thanks for your help...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That <br /> looks like a) pseudo-XHTML and b) element abuse for presentational purposes. Take it out — wrap the line in a <div> or <p> if necessary.

How come you can use a ½ sign but not a £ sign in your code? Don't use HTML entities where they aren't necessary.

In PHP, as in many languages, initial capitals are, by convention, reserved for classes.

It is still just as easy as I made out:
    Code:
    $query = sprintf('SELECT price + line_rental * 12 - %d - cost FROM some_table', $discount);
    Of course, PDO and bound variables are preferable, but if this is the only query you're making might be somewhat overkill. If you've got user input, though, it could be handy.

Also, make sure that you define $discount = 0; before those ifs, or a user could, on a server with register_globals enabled, specify whatever discount they wanted by adding ?discount=100 to the end of the URL.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Thanks twey..

the <br />'s were just temporary, i will be replacing these with bullet points..

twey, the $Monthsfree, $Monthshalf and $Cashback are fields in the table? sorry for being so unclear about this.

here is my full query

Code:
    SELECT deals.*, tariffs.*, retailers.* FROM deals LEFT JOIN tariffs ON tariffs.TariffID = deals.DealsTariffID LEFT JOIN retailers ON retailers.RetailerID = deals.DealsRetailerID WHERE deals.DealsHandsetID = '$HandsetID' AND tariffs.ContractType != 'pp' ORDER BY tariffs.LineRental LIMIT 0, 100
    deals.Monthsfree, deals.Monthshalf, deals.Cashback

the reason i want to perform this calculation is so that i can 'order by' the cheapest overall cost.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, since you're also giving output, clearly you need two separate queries: one to get the monthsfree, monthshalf, and cashback, some calculation, then a final one using the calculated $discount.

Thanks

i didnt know this was possible,

twey, could you please show me an example? thank you