Thread: Bullet List Accordion Menu

Thanks

Default Bullet List Accordion Menu

1) Script Title: Bullet List Accordion Menu

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...enu-bullet.htm

3) Describe problem: The first header opens on page load for IE6 and Opera 9.6 but not on FF 3.0.5. This applies to my copy, locally, and your copy of the script as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,192 Times in 3,155 Posts
    Blog Entries

The demo page on Dynamic Drive works fine here in FF 3.0.5. Is that what you meant by "your copy of the script"?

However, with persistence turned on, whatever the state of the menu on unload of the page will be the state when returning (this includes merely refreshing) to the page, unless the URL parameter is specified.

Persistence will have no effect at times in Opera, which doesn't fire the onunload event in the same way as other browsers, or in any browser that doesn't support cookies. IE 6 'standalone' doesn't support cookies. What type of IE 6 do you have?

If you want more help:

Please post a link to the page on your site that contains the problematic code so we can check it out.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Default Bullet List Accordion Menu

Sorry can't post a URL because only on local machine. However the problem is with new load in OPera and IE when the first drop down menu opens by default. But FF is o.k. or rather FF is exhibiting th behaviour I was expecting. Is that of some help?

John

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, it's like I said:

Persistence will have no effect at times in Opera, which doesn't fire the onunload event in the same way as other browsers, or in any browser that doesn't support cookies. IE 6 'standalone' doesn't support cookies. What type of IE 6 do you have?
    Other than that, if you want more help, put up a page somewhere that demonstrates the problem. Explain in detail what you expect to happen in which browser(s) that doesn't, and what actions on the user's part will cause the problem to be obvious.

Also, please clear up for me if you are using an IE 6 'standalone' browser, or if IE 6 is the primary IE browser for that computer.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Sorry, don't understand what you mean by the onunload event. It is when the page is first loaded not after going through menus etc. I am using full IE6 but it is not the Default browser I haveFF set for that. I qm trying to understand why there is such a difference between the three browsers.!

hth
    John

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well, on a fresh load with no cookies set, the demo page for this script on Dynamic Drive behaves the same here in all three browsers you've mentioned. The first menu is opened once the page loads. Once you interact with the menu, FF remembers its state. If you reload the page, or leave it and return in the same browser session, it will load up in the state remembered.

Remembering the state is most likely done using the browser's onunload event. In Opera, this works differently than in other browsers so Opera will not always remember. In IE 6, if it is the primary IE browser for the computer (the primary browser may be anything, but you generally cannot have another IE on the same machine without using 'standalones'), and cookies are enabled in IE 6, it should also remember the menu state in a similar way as does FF.
    - John

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

johnp392002 (01-08-2009)

Thanks

thanks for that, It makes a bit more sense. I have obviously got a problem with FF on my machine. I am testing through a local apache server with a url of //localhost.

Thanks for your input. If I get anywhere with the problem I will let you know.