Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ico

Thanks
    Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,382 Posts
    Blog Entries

Couldn't a creative server admin like yourself, Twey, set something up in the config, or the .htaccess to deny service of /favicon.ext to any folder other than the root? I know next to nothing about how that might work though.

Couldn't one even direct that a .favicon.ext (or any other file) be served instead?
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No — the request for the page and the request for the favicon are two entirely separate requests. There's no state passed between them (except cookies, but that breaks if the browser loads two pages at once).
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I was thinking (like):

Code:
    Redirect 301 /favicon.ico /subfolder/favicon.ico
    placed in a .htaccess file in the /subfolder/ directory.

Edit: By the way, here's a scary article about favicon:

http://www.w3.org/2006/WSC/wiki/Reco...posals/FavIcon

I had never thought of them in those terms before.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 12-19-2008 at 05:48 PM. Reason: add article link
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I realise what you were thinking, but there's no way to tell what 'subfolder' is. All the server sees is a request for /favicon.ico; it doesn't know the page for which the browser wants that icon.

With regards to spoofing a secure connection by means of a favourites icon: yes, that's always been a risk, and it's one reason why pages shouldn't really be allowed to affect the chrome at all.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't have an environment to test this idea out in. But the page request would occur in a subfolder, so the server could know, at least in theory. But since I have neither the need or availability to try this out, I'll take your word for it.

My thinking, and I may even have misunderstood this much, was that .htaccess, if placed in a subfolder can be in effect for only that subfolder.
    - John

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    My thinking, and I may even have misunderstood this much, was that .htaccess, if placed in a subfolder can be in effect for only that subfolder.
    I was wondering the same thing after you posted about this before so I did a search and most articles seem to agree with that: the .htaccess file affects only the folder it is in.
    Eddy Proca
    I love Dropbox. Get it through my girlfriend's referral link (I reached my limit) and both you and her get 500 MB extra! Thanks and you're welcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snookerman View Post
    I was wondering the same thing after you posted about this before so I did a search and most articles seem to agree with that: the .htaccess file affects only the folder it is in.
    Yes, but I think Twey is far more experienced with Apache and .htaccess files. I understand what he is saying, that under that regimen, the request for /favicon.ext is perhaps treated literally regardless as to what is in the .htaccess file.

This would certainly be true if .htaccess can only 301 redirect pages for instance. And there could be other vagaries of the .htaccess interface that would prevent it from working effectively for a resource called from a page, as it may already be cached in the browser. But if it is simply the later, some sort of no-cache, or must renew directive might be able to overcome that.

There could be other considerations. But if this can be worked out, I'm sure many host admins would be interested.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 12-20-2008 at 08:19 PM. Reason: add line about host admins
    - John

Thanks
    Blog Entries

While you can indeed serve /subfolder/favicon.ico for a request to /favicon.ico, it would only work for one specific directory. That is, all requests for /favicon.ico would be redirected to /subfolder/favicon.ico, even if the previous request the user's browser made was for /subfolder2/page.html. This is because the server, at the point at which /favicon.ico is requested, has no idea of the page that told the browser to request /favicon.ico. This is necessarily true, regardless of limitations or lacks thereof of the server in question, because HTTP is a stateless protocol. File requests are entirely independent of one another.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm really having trouble following, and I wish I had an environment where I could test this, at the very least it would help me to understand what you are saying. You mean that if there is a .htaccess in /subfolder that is as limited to that folder as is possible to make it, it will affect requests made in other folders?

How about a .htaccess file in all folders redirecting /favicon.ext to .favicon.ext?
    - John

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't really understand why having the index.ext page in a folder showing is different from having the favicon.ext show for that folder. When I type in the address http://www.example.com/folder/ the browser should look for files in that folder that are called index.ext, favicon.ext, .htaccess, etc and display/use them.

If the files are not there then nothing should display. If the problem is that the browsers do this in a different way at the moment, then they should think about this for future releases and maybe in a few years there will be no problems. The favicon could be compared to the folder.jpg that shows as the default folder thumbnail in Windows. I'm sure I'm overlooking and misinterpreting things but I'm sure you get my idea.
    Eddy Proca
    I love Dropbox. Get it through my girlfriend's referral link (I reached my limit) and both you and her get 500 MB extra! Thanks and you're welcome!