Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ico

Thanks

Default Ico

I can't find where the ico is on this page. http://www.esefdenim.com/ Can anybody else see it in the code? or If its a different extension the icon in the address bar.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

'ico'?

It's a Flash movie.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    'ico'?

It's a Flash movie.
    The OP means the favicon.ico icon.

Edit: \/ John has the answer
    Last edited by Snookerman; 12-17-2008 at 08:31 AM.
    Eddy Proca
    I love Dropbox. Get it through my girlfriend's referral link (I reached my limit) and both you and her get 500 MB extra! Thanks and you're welcome!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,421 Times in 3,382 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's in the root:

http://www.esefdenim.com/favicon.ico

If you place an ico file named favicon.ico in the root of your domain, most browsers will display it in the addressbar.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

bluewalrus (12-17-2008)

Thanks

Thanks, I couldn't figure that out, was it in the code?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluewalrus View Post
    was it in the code?
    No, that's the point, if you just put the favourite icon in the root of your domain, it will be displayed even if you don't mention it in the code. If you are wondering how John found it, it's because the favourite icon is always called favicon.ico and he probably just typed it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    If you place an ico file named favicon.ico in the root of your domain, most browsers will display it in the addressbar.
    John, do you know which browsers do that?
    Eddy Proca
    I love Dropbox. Get it through my girlfriend's referral link (I reached my limit) and both you and her get 500 MB extra! Thanks and you're welcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Pretty much all modern browsers. IE 6 was a bit balky about it, but IE 7 is much better, though still at times balky. By balky I mean that sometimes the favicon shows up, sometimes it doesn't, and there is no apparent logic to it when that happens. I'm not testing in IE 8 yet, but it should be just fine with it, if you believe the hype about how much more compliant it is/will be. As for the rest, support has been excellent for favicon for quite some time.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I just read about the third acid test and one of the criteria for passing is to not show the favicon placed in the root. Do you know why that is?
    Eddy Proca

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Because it's non-standard, and certainly shouldn't override the page-specified icon.

I wish we could move from that silly .ico format already.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I just skimmed a w3c article How to Add a Favicon to your Site where they take forever to state in convoluted language that since not everyone has their own domain, not everyone can place a favicon.ico in the root of their domain. They seem to feel that this should mean that no one, not even those with their own domain should be allowed to do so. That's sort of silly if you ask me. As long as there is a standard for those who cannot do it, why shouldn't those who can, be allowed the ease of use that doing so affords?

This question will actually be decided by the folks making the browsers though. And in this case, as with many others, following the w3c recommendation while still allowing for ease of use will probably prevail.

So, ideally, those with their own domains may/should (I'm not deciding this) continue to use the shortcut method of simply placing favicon in the root, while others may use the link rel="ico" tag to override it.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 12-18-2008 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling
    - John