Thread: Open local folder with Firefox

Thanks

Default Open local folder with Firefox

I would like to open a local folder with a link with Firefox.
    Normally, I put this:

<a href="file://///10.1.206.170/folder/folder 1/">fodler in LAN</a>

This link is work correctly but it's open into firefox and i would like to open as Internet Explorer: into a window.

is it possible?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure I understand what you want. Do you want to open the link in IE instead of FF? What do you mean by "into a window"?
    Eddy Proca
    I love Dropbox. Get it through my girlfriend's referral link (I reached my limit) and both you and her get 500 MB extra! Thanks and you're welcome!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 3,190 Posts
    Blog Entries

The browser being used is the one that will open the folder. If this is just for your own use, the FireBug extension to FF will allow you to configure IE as an external editor. Once that is done, it is a click on the tools menu and three levels in to click on IE and have the local content displayed in that browser. I'm not sure if this will work over all LANs (it doesn't work over the internet) but it works on the local machine for local files on the LAN and on the local HD (just tested it) so it should. Depends upon the LAN, I would think.

But as I say, this is with the add on and using its features, you cannot control what other users have setup on their machines. So it wouldn't be a solution for other users unwilling or unable to use FireBug.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Well, you can try using the file protocol, but it wont work in all browsers, the fact is that, there is an issue with local security. A script running on a server will not be able to access and control another script running on a separate server or offline....