View Poll Results: What is the best editor?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Notepad++

2 40.00%
  • Dreamweaver

1 20.00%
  • EditPlus

1 20.00%
  • UltraEdit

1 20.00%
  • TextMate

0 0%
  • Expression Web

0 0%

Thread: What editor do you recommend?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Question What editor do you recommend?

When I started I used Notepad, I later switched to Dreamweaver and I've been using it since then. I saw that some people are critical of Dw and compare it to Fronpage but I only use the coding feature, not the wysiwyg part. I haven't really tried any other editors (except for Expression web for a few minutes) since I've been so pleased with Dw but maybe there are better options out there so can you recommend some awesome html editors?
    Edit: Before I started with Dreamweaver, I used Ultraedit-32, can't believe I forgot that one..
    Last edited by Snookerman; 04-21-2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: added "Resolved" prefix
    Eddy Proca
    I love Dropbox. Get it through my girlfriend's referral link (I reached my limit) and both you and her get 500 MB extra! Thanks and you're welcome!

Thanks

The absolute best in my opinion is Notepad++, it's so great, you can pick any language you want to code in, and it has syntax highlighting, find and replace functions, just everything you could ever need, go get it, NOW!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoopy View Post
    The absolute best in my opinion is Notepad++, it's so great, you can pick any language you want to code in, and it has syntax highlighting, find and replace functions, just everything you could ever need, go get it, NOW!
    I use Notepad++ as well when I'm working on a Win machine. On a Mac, I would recommend Textmate.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the tip, so what does Notepad++ have that is better than Dw?
    Eddy Proca
    I love Dropbox. Get it through my girlfriend's referral link (I reached my limit) and both you and her get 500 MB extra! Thanks and you're welcome!

Thanks

Link to the Notepad++ Site: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Tells you all you need to know.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Alright, I just downloaded it and I'll give it a try. Thanks!
    Eddy Proca

Thanks

I guess I'm the only strange one around here... I love EditPlus! I like the fact that you can edit the syntax colors as well as the background colors, line numbers, rulers, etc... I usually set the background to black and use lots of high contrast colors for syntax to make it easier to find what I'm looking for in super large files.

http://www.editplus.com/
    --------------------------------------------------
    Reviews, Interviews, Tutorials, and STUFF
    --------------------------------------------------
    Home of the SexyBookmarks WordPress plugin

Thanks
    Blog Entries

emacs and vim are pretty much the standard for serious coders. I used to be a vim user, but I switched over to emacs a couple of months ago and haven't looked back.

notepad++ lacks so many features... comparing notepad++ to a real editor is something like comparing DOS v4 to a modern Linux distribution emacs is (in)famously particularly powerful and featureful. Some people complain that it's too bloated with odd features, but so long as it still loads in less than a second on my machine, I'm happy

Obligatory amusing cartoon: http://blog.metaphox.name/somnium/bl...i-vs-emacs.png
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Ultraedit - like Notepad on steroids

Thanks

I have been using Ultraedit for the last few years and thoroughly impressed with its capabilities.