Thread: Working with Flash Video

Thanks

Default Working with Flash Video

I am working on a project that I am creating a flash video player in. I found some really good tutorials to follow, but the video format used is .flv and I can not figure out how to convert my quicktime files.

The same tutorial webpage (www.gotoandlearn.com) suggests using sorenson squeeze. I was not able to find a demo version of it that would work on my computer. I use Mac OS 10.4.11 and the trial version I downloaded said that it would not work on my system.

I then noticed in the tutorial on converting video to flash video that After Effects could be used. I am using Flash 8 and have After Effects 5.5 on my mac and 6.5 on my PC. My attempt to export from AE 5.5 failed because of a sound component error. My attempt in AE 6.5 didn't work because that version of AE doesn't have the export as flash video option.

I have searched for the flash video exporter plug-in with no success. Does anybody have a better idea of how to find that plug-in? Or is there a way to get a version of Sorenson Squeeze that would work on my comp? Or does anybody have a different piece of software that can convert the video files to flash video?

Thanks

This all really depends on what you end goals are, who your intended audience is, and how up-to-date their computers are.

If you can guarantee Flash 9 or higher on their computer (or are willing to prompt an update), you don't have to convert video. Flash 9 and above supports H.264 video (MOV, MP4).
    Last edited by Medyman; 11-17-2008 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Formatting

Thanks

I had to convert a 35M file into flash mainly due to size for a website I'm working on for a family member.

I used this program to convert from AVI to FLV. It's extremely simple and looks to convert to and from many formats.http://www.download.com/FormatFactor...dlPid=10896621

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Medyman View Post
    This all really depends on what you end goals are, who your intended audience is, and how up-to-date their computers are.

If you can guarantee Flash 9 or higher on their computer (or are willing to prompt an update), you don't have to convert video. Flash 9 and above supports H.264 video (MOV, MP4).
    I realize the limits of using flash as a video player or object and how it could potentially interact with users and their computers. I guess my question was more about trying to find an alternative to sorenson squeeze. Also, to see if anyone knew how to fix my issues with After Effects.

My next question then would be, are those file types supported when creating a net connection and a net stream object with my embedded video object?

I tried to use a quicktime video, and it did not show up when I tested the movie.

I basically just copied that whole flash video basics series step by step. In the first one is where he talks about building a net connection and net stream to the external flash video file.

Thanks

for someone interested in convering can share program,which convert any Adobe (Macromedia) Flash (swf, flv files) to video movie AVI, mp4, ASF/WMV, mpeg files, etc. I use Flash to Video Encoder PRO and no regrets about how it works! All r perfect!
    Mac users can use Macvide FlashVideo Converter here http://www.macvide.com/Macvide_FlashVideo_Converter/
    hope i help