Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop Elements: Pros or Cons

Thanks

Default Photoshop Elements: Pros or Cons

Does anyone have good knowledge of Photoshop elements that they could share here?

I currently use Photoshop CS3 (extended) at the office (Web/Graphic Design/Photo manipulation), but being a bit tight with my cash I don't want to really fork £500+ (UK Pounds) for basic home use, so i was wondering if Elements behaved/looked the same as Photoshop CS2/3/4?

As for home use I'd be doing basic resizing/cropping and adding a frame or watermark for web use on a PC lap-top running Vista.

thanks

Dom

Thanks

I don't know cs3, only tried cs2. But elements is far from what you want. It's clumpsy and only useful for very basic user level use. But this is just my opinion

Thanks

thanks tfit for your opinion. I gather from your comments the GUI doesn't even look like photoshop... what about file imports/export, can it handle .PSDs or TIFs?

anyone suggest a suitable cheaper alternative, perhaps Corel's Paintshop Pro X2?

what file formats can or does this support? (website fails to mention file formats http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...0&tabview=tab0)

thanks

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The GIMP can provide most if not all of the features of Photoshop. The interface will take some getting used to, but it's free.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Elements is fine if you like having fewer options and easier work. It's faster, actually, than photoshop, for the basic functions (like a "remove red eye" tool). However, it is more limited, so you may be annoyed if you're an advanced user. But it'll get things done... it's very capable.
    No reason to not try the GIMP first-- it's free after all, and elements can always be bought later.
    Also, no need to bother with the newest version of photoshop. If you just want it for normal use, then just get an older version. I still, happily, use 7, not because I can't upgrade, but because I don't want to. I like it, and it's capable of everything (aside from some, by CS3/4, newer interesting features that apply to video work, but not much else, like painting on 3D models).
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Let me explain my take on this. Elements/cs3 is too large for the simple things I do with raster images: using layers. I don't use filters or other kind of plugins. I use photofiltre studio to use layers and I prefer to create images with scripting.
    But decide for yourself with some reviews:
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pse...E7whatsnew.htm
    http://photo-editing-software-review...creenshot.html
    http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/grap...ng/m/65234628/
    http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...elements_7.php
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews871.html

Thanks

thankyou all for your advice, if anyone else wish to add thier views, please do.

tfit: the links were most useful especially the screenshots, thanks for that.

djr33: I've tried looking for 'earlier versions of photoshop 7 or CS but have had no joy in finding anyone that would sell 'shrink wrapped' old copies.

twey: I'll test drive the GIMP next time i'm online at home, however I downloaded VIM for Windows XP once and got completely confused by it when I loaded it up, subsquently use Notepad++ for HTML authoring (read cut 'n' pasting).

Conclusion: I may suggest Photoshop Elements 7 as a Christmas present idea...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

GIMP and vim are two quite unrelated pieces of software vim (at least on *nix) comes with a 'vimtutor' application, which you can use to get started.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

As for "shrink wrapped" copies, that isn't incredibly important. Legally, you must have a license (you don't technically own the program, just the media [CD/DVD] it ships on). So, if it's unwrapped and you get a legitimate license, then you're just fine. Ebay would be fine.

However, sellers may or may not keep an (illegal) copy of the software for themselves and this could potentially lead to some sort of trouble with support or registration from adobe, and all that. Or if you have a moral problem with potentially taking part in someone keeping a copy and selling their CD, then that's another reason not to do it.

But in short, it's valid to purchase used software, as long as the license properly transfers owners.

At least it should be. I'm sure you can find the information on the adobe site for specifics.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Photoshop Elements is a highly capable program. If you are a photo editor and use RAW files a lot you will want more powerful software like Photoshop CS4; however for everything else Elements should be fine for you it's a damn good program.

Frames and watermarks are what you're doing along with cropping and resizing; just go for Elements. The real photoshop is more for extensive editing.

Hope this helps.