Advanced Search

Thread: Screen Resolution & Width of the Screen

Thanks

Default Screen Resolution & Width of the Screen

Hi All,

I am a Visual Designer. I have created the static width 920px with center aligned.

This is ongoing product also. which is good. But now I wanted to increase my width for List views, we have to facility for column customization.

So we don't know how much column user will choose. I am very confusing.

Please help me!...
    Now a days maximum number of users can use 1024x768 and above Resolution. So I will expand my screen upto 1200px.

Then what can I do for above 1024x768 resolution.

1. Fluid with 100%
    In this case I have lot of empty space in creation screens and four column (two lable two textboxes) it will show widely expanded feel. But in List view is good.

I have search box and (pricing, logout etc...) links at Top right corner. I will go to there, It is very odd for finding that links

2. Static width 1200px with Left

Right side empty space is too. I want more columns in list views only.

If we have static width in Creation page, If List view only expanded, always slip down the screen, we have to find much differences.

3. Static width 1200px with Center

If we have more column in the list view, creation and listviews differences are too at both sides

I am awaiting for your comments

Thanks
    Elumalai J.
    Last edited by jelumalai; 11-14-2008 at 02:21 PM. Reason: mail status

Thanks
    Blog Entries

your best option (if I understand your question correctly) is to build your site at a smaller width (800px is safest) and create a background that fills the extra space on larger screens. While many users do have larger screens, many users don't. Some people with larger screens don't maximize their browser windows.

Scrolling up and down is easy. scrolling side to side is very annoying. A smaller site with background decoration will look best across all screen sizes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to traq For This Useful Post:

jelumalai (11-15-2008)

Thanks

Hi traq,

Thanks for quick reply.

Already I used 920px with center align only. [One important thing is this is for Business application used by daily basis]

So I am planning for expand to 1200px with left side. Can I use light background color for empty space in right side.

Please give your feedback about this
    "Empty spaces are fill with light background is this common way? and is it usable? " But I like that.

Thanks & Regards,
    Elumalai J.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jelumalai
    Empty spaces are fill with light background is this common way? and is it usable?
    If we're both talking about simple, unused space (e.g., if a website is centered and 900px wide and the user's screen is 1400px, we have 250px of empty space on either side), then yes, it's quite common. And very useable, to the point where most people don't even really notice it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jelumalai
    One important thing is this is for Business application used by daily basis
    Do you mean that this website is designed for particular users - employees of a company, for example - and not intended for the general public?

Thanks

If you use any sort of analytics or tracking services (google?) then check the screen resolution information to see the proportion of users using 1024 x 768 or less - you can then make informed decisions about the most appropriate site widths for your users.