Thread: Make system treat USB thumb drive as CD

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Make system treat USB thumb drive as CD

Are there any known hardware or software hacks/tweaks/programs/additions/etc. that make the OS/BIOS/motherboard/etc. treat a USB thumb drive/pen drive/key/drive/flash drive/etc. as a CD/DVD/Blu-Eay/HD-DVD/etc.? (e.g. burning, ripping, Audio CD, Video DVD...)
    ....(o_ Penguins
    .---/(o_- techno_racing
    +(---//\-' in
    .+(_)--(_)' The McMurdo 500

2. The Following User Says Thank You to techno_race For This Useful Post:

format (10-24-2008)

Thanks

I've got one USB 1Gb, acting as CDROM drive (3Mb) and the rest is available for R/W as standard USB thumb.
    Paragon Partition Manager can see and convert big partition and bla bla... but I can't kill CDROM acting

So... there must be some hard/soft-ware somebody used to create this. Let me know when u find out

Thanks

Smile

I just got a USB Udisk 4gb from my friend, he made 2 partitions on this 4gb drive. First drive with windows PE(maybe pocket edition) and the other partition is regular Udisk partiton for data storage.

The first partition any system will treat that a CD drive, so I can boot the PC to this "CD drive" partition on the Udisk and select from the manual either running windows PE on the 4gb disk direct or doing the HDD partition or other tasks.
    Under Winows PE mode, the PC will run OS direct from the Udisk but not the PC regular local HDD.

Better yet, I made a ghost image of my own windows Xp and I can reinstall that to my PC just using the Udisk, it is neat since I got a faster backup device that is much faster than windowsXP CD installation disk.

Thanks

What I mean is:
    not only that I get two drive letters but one is removable disk and another one is CD-ROM drive!
    When I check Device manager I see another CD hardware also!
    And like on true CD, there are files which are solidly read-only.
    Unbeleivable
    I think this is what original question was about.

Thanks

Yes, that is exactly what you have just described again.

When I plug in the flash drive, I see an extra CD drive and another extra data partition, the extra CD drive is read only and the other data drive is just same as the regular HDD partition for data read write. In device manager, I got extra CD rom and extra HDD.

When making this kind of configuration, flash drive chipset is a major factor, different flash drive needs different application files to make the disk become a CD drive and a regular drive.

Thanks

Sorry, I thought you didn't get it

Anyway, I was curious how they made it so.
    Tnx for the tip on FlashDisk brand dependant app.

Thanks

Where can I find a pen drive with a write protect switch on it? Later in the year I'm going to be very mobile and want to load all my important files onto a pen drive. I may have to copy or use them on a computer running at an Internet cafe. Years ago I observed that pen drives had a write protect switch that could help prevent your files from being corrupted by viruses. Now I can't find any that do! Does anyone know who makes them anymore? With the new ones you can apparently just set your files to read only -- but you set this through software and I'm concerned that a virus program might be able to alter that setting. Does anyone have any advice?
    Last edited by marchelyx; 06-14-2009 at 07:09 AM.

Thanks

Only earlier version flash drives come with switch button for write protect.

Or you can set the file to read only on your drive.

Try search online.

Hope this helps!
    Bill