Computer:

HP HDX9300
    4GB RAM
    64-bit
    Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 - 2.50GHz

External HD:

Lacie D2 Quadra - 500GB

Now, here's my problem:

I'm reformatting and want to back up all my data, which one my first internal HD is roughly 31GB.

I have all 31GB in one folder on my desktop. I open up "My Computer", access the hard drive, and then drag and drop the 31GB folder into it. For the first minute or so, the transfer rate is great - then, it drops to about 7 - 10MB per second, and gives me an estimated finish time of about 3+ hours.

Which is ridiculous. THe interface transfer rates say eSATA - up to 3Gbits/s (300MB/s), or with USB 2.0 - (60MB/s)

I've tried both eSATA and USB - and I get the same exact transfer rate.

Am I doing something wrong? Why is the transfer rate SO slow? I've tried going into task manager, and ending all the processes (like aim, thunderbird, firefox, messengers, etc) so I only have that running.

I'm clueless as to why it's so damn slow.

Help!

Thanks

Thanks

What File system is on your HP laptop?
    FAT32 or NTFS?

I would suggest you check the power management and make sure there is same power voltage(not under certain power savnig mode) supplying to the external HDD.

There is a configuration that the laptop may go to the power save mode under certain condition after a period of time. So the beginning data transfer is fast, and the rest is slow.

May also need to check both internal and external HDD for the file structure integrity problem, if the system needs to verify this before getting the data transferring, the transfer rate may drop as well.