Thread: Need help on editing flash template :(

Thanks

Default Need help on editing flash template :(

Now this is really a great site I have bumped into searching for help.

This is almost the sixth day for me looking through the internet in looking for help without result. I am almost willing to pay for your help.

Here is the problem:
    I have a full flash template with the following folders:

screenshots
    site
    site_flash
    sources

(btw, the site is totally in flash)

Screenshots folder containing (screen shots of the template)

Site folder containing (index.html, index-1.html, index-2.html,index-3.html
    ,index-4.html,index-5.html and style.css and images folder)

Site_flash folder containing (swf file, index.html, contact(active server page),
    contact(php script), and style.css

Sources folder containing (clipart_library folder, flash folder, fonts folder, and psd folder) ofcourse with the source files in the folders.

For example after editing the text in index-1.html with adobe dreamweaver
    I save it and it will display properly after clicking it into the browser. (that is the non-flash version in the site folder.

However if I click in the Site_flash folder the index.html, the changes are not
    displayed in the flash version.

1. What do I have to do to make the changes appear in the flash version?
    2. how come index1-5.html do not appear in the site_flash folder?
    3. How come when I open the main flash source it does not display all the subpages? only the main page. (that is, about, contact, product page)

Thanks if anyone out there can give me some direction.

Thanks

What do I have to do to make the changes appear in the flash version?
    The changes have to be made directly with the main .fla file. They won't automatically read the changes you made to the static (HTML) version of the site.

how come index1-5.html do not appear in the site_flash folder?
    You probably have 4 sub-pages in the template, correct? So index 1 through 5 represent the homepage, about page, product page, contact page and another one it would seem. With HTML, you need to physically call 5 different files for each page. In Flash, you can combine all the pages into one file and create the navigation internally.

How come when I open the main flash source it does not display all the subpages? only the main page. (that is, about, contact, product page)
    The pages are probably there. Every template that I've seen has excessive embedding of movieclips. The subpages are probably hidden in some layer within a layer or within some code. If you look in the asset library, you'll probably be able to track down the subpages (or at least portions of it).

Most Flash templates are not designed to be edited. The code is often inefficient, poorly written and unreadable. If you do need it edited significantly (more than changing a few words), I'd suggest turning to a professional.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medyman For This Useful Post:

paradisespeed (10-06-2008)

Thanks

Thank you Medyman for the answers.

That means that most full flash templates should have all the subpages in the main flash source file. correct?

Or is it possible that the swf file calls the subpages from the static html folder?

What are the steps to combine the static html files into one and insert into the flash file?

Are really that many templates from the web "not designed to be edited, code inefficient, poorly written and unreadable?"

Thanks

That means that most full flash templates should have all the subpages in the main flash source file. correct?
    Correct.

Or is it possible that the swf file calls the subpages from the static html folder?
    No, that's not possible. The HTML that Flash supports is very limited in it's support. HTML in combination is only used to style text, not create full, functional, web-pages.

What are the steps to combine the static html files into one and insert into the flash file?
    Again, that's not possible with the intent that you have.

Are really that many templates from the web "not designed to be edited, code inefficient, poorly written and unreadable?"
    Unfortunately, yes. If not in intent, in practice. Even if they're designed to be edit, the workflow is so poor that it doesn't do any good. That's not to say that all templates are like that. But, all that I've seen are. In my experience, it's almost always cheaper to find a template and find a developer to duplicate that template.