Thread: Auto Minimize and Maximize of IE - Please Help

Thanks

Default Auto Minimize and Maximize of IE - Please Help

I am looking for a script that should auto-minimize (bringing the browser - IE 6+ to the taskbar) if there is no activity for 20mins and the auto-maximize (opening the browser) after a second.

I need this to solve an IE memory issue - which occurs when our website (vehicle tracking) is kept open for long periods.

Please Help.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by me_myself; 09-29-2008 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,240 Times in 3,201 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't think there is anything for that specifically that wouldn't be blocked by a well configured IE (one set to safeguard against Active X attacks, which all IE should be, and all recent and well maintained IE are by default). You could refresh the page if that helps, or - and I would favor this on general principal - have the page go to an inactivity page, let users return to the active page themselves, when and if they regain interest in it.

The focus and blur properties of the window may be manipulated as well if that would help.

But the best solution would be to eliminate the memory problem in the first place. What causes it?
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Thanks for the post.

I cannot redirect the screen to an inactive page since the application (vehicle tracking) is usually launched in huge screens and are always running for the company to see where their vehicles are right now.

Reason that causes the IE (that's the browser our application works) memory issue is because the screen is kept open for a long period and constant js updates (grid and vehicle icon refreshes) on the screen.

Ref:
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb250448.aspx

We have found that by minimizing the screen, the memory gets back to normal. If there could be a way to minimize the browser (IE 6+) and bring it back to view within a second - that would release the memory and would be a good solution