Advanced Search

Thread: [DHTML] Circling text trail UPDATE

Thanks
    Thanked 3,129 Times in 3,095 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default [DHTML] Circling text trail UPDATE

1) CODE TITLE: Circling text trail

2) AUTHOR NAME/NOTES: Tim Tilton - updated by jscheuer1

3) DESCRIPTION: Just an update to Tilton's outdated script. It uses the original's math for the trail, more or less, but is updated:

It's more configurable, now uses DOM level 2 to make the trail, exposes no global variables, follows the cursor even on wide pages, and works in modern browsers with or without a valid URL DOCTYPE.

4) URL TO CODE: http://home.comcast.net/~jscheuer1/s...ext_update.htm

or, ATTACHED BELOW (see #3 in guidelines below):
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Nice update! It even works in IE8 beta2 btw, which I've found trips up quite a few scripts that deal with CSS positioning. I've gone ahead and updated the script on DD to match: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...circletext.htm

p.s: I never realized this until now, but orientation wise the script has always shown the circling message in a "mirror writing" way whenever the text comes into the foreground. Probably an error in the Math the original author either didn't realize, or realized too late into writing the script. lol
    DD Admin

Thanks
    Thanked 3,129 Times in 3,095 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ddadmin View Post
    Nice update!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ddadmin View Post
    I never realized this until now, but orientation wise the script has always shown the circling message in a "mirror writing" way whenever the text comes into the foreground. Probably an error in the Math the original author either didn't realize, or realized too late into writing the script. lol
    Well, if I understand what you are saying, yes and no. I think Tim just liked the way it looked with the upper portion of the circle/oval being able to be read LTR. However, Tim also provided (and I preserved, from the update code):

Code:
    // Rotation speed, set it negative if you want it to spin clockwise (decimals allowed)
    var rotation = 0.4;
    So, if you want the lower portion of the circle/oval to read LTR, just use a negative value for 'rotation'. Of course, this will make the upper portion RTL, but in a rotating circle/oval, you cannot have both upper and lower go in the same direction.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Hi, I was trying to figure out how to make the trailing text automatically stop (or buzz off) after a period of time, (so it dosent become too annoying)
    using the javascript setTimeout,
    though my brain is too small to get that in the right spot, can someone please help me,

I did wonder if setTimeout may leave the chars on screen, which obviously one would not want.

Thanks, Garry
    Outback Central Australia.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hi Garry,
    You should create a new thread in dd scripts help for this.
    Bernie
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program." - Linus Torvalds
    Anime Views Forums
    Bernie