Thread: Web Page Size

Thanks

Default Web Page Size

Hello Guys

I've designed a website which for the first time I've tested live today. While I was opening it via Dreamweaver all seemed ok, but when it was live I found it's taking a long time to load a page.

Each page is about 28kb in size - is this too big? What size should I be aiming for and are there any 'shortcuts' for achieving this?

Cheers
    H

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

For the page itself, that's not too bad - a little on the high side, but not too bad. What will really cause a page to take a lot of time to load is one or more large (by byte size) images and/or poor markup (nested tables for example). Flash and scripts can also sometimes be a factor, but usually only if they use/contain large (by byte size) images.

If you want a critique of a page and its load time, post a link to it in the lounge:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=16

and ask for folks to give you feedback on it.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Thanks for that John. Apologies for doziness of the question but what constitutes a large picture?

For instance, on my index page I have three images weighing in at 46500 bytes, 10700 bytes and 29000 bytes as well as the web header image which is another 28000 bytes.

Cheers
    H

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is the page's byte total, including all its resources that must be considered. 46500 bytes for one image is starting to get a bit big, but should be no problem for a decent high speed connection. However, if taken together with the byte load of the other images and the page itself (the size of external script and/or style files should be added as well, if used), you are now getting to the sort of byte total (about 142k or more) that will bog down loading at least slightly on almost any connection.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate