Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: xml Sitemap feed

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default xml Sitemap feed

    Hello,
    I'm working on a feed for a website and I want it to follow the xml sitemap protocol so that the search engines will be able to crawl it better. The problem is I want to display descriptions in the feed but im not sure this is allowed if you follow this method: http://sitemaps.org/protocol.php
    So should I just create a normal rss and sumit that one as my sitemap or should I create one Sitemap to google and one normal rss to the site?
    This feed is very important for this project because Im working in flex (flash) and I want the search engines to see whats in the database.

    // Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis_Gull; 08-25-2008 at 01:57 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Currently: New York/Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,735
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 519 Times in 507 Posts

    Default

    So should I just create a normal rss and sumit that one as my sitemap or should I create one Sitemap to google and one normal rss to the site
    I would do the latter. Submit a sitemap to Google. Do a traditional RSS feed for the rest. The sitemap protocol isn't generally targeted at content syndication.

    At best, what you could do is to have both. A simple feed with titles only and a more comprehensive standard RSS feed with the descriptions included. Let your users choose which ones they want.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Now I created one rss feed for users and search engines and one sitemap only for search engines but I still have one question and one problem.
    First of all i just wondering if its better to use a XSLT Transformation on the sitemap or is it only useful if you want real people to view them (not bots)

    My problem is the encoding of the rss feed.
    If I select the Russian feed I will have to use UTF-8 but then I will get an error message in IE saying something like:
    "Couldn't display the feed, we found an invalid character at line ..."

    And in firefox I will get weird characters that you can find in the attached image.

    One example where I get those weird characters is when I use the euro symbol, is there a solution to this?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Currently: New York/Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,735
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 519 Times in 507 Posts

    Default

    XSLT is meant specifically for making XML data "human readable". So, if users won't be seeing it, I don't see a benefit in going to the trouble.

    As for the encoding issues, I really don't know. Try validating the file (http://feedvalidator.org). See if that turns up anything.

    Otherwise, do you have a link to the RSS feed? Or it's source?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medyman View Post
    XSLT is meant specifically for making XML data "human readable". So, if users won't be seeing it, I don't see a benefit in going to the trouble.

    As for the encoding issues, I really don't know. Try validating the file (http://feedvalidator.org). See if that turns up anything.

    Otherwise, do you have a link to the RSS feed? Or it's source?
    I validated it at w3c and It says its valid although they give me 185 recommendations like this:
    "<mytag> contains bad characters"

    and if I click "help" I get this page:
    http://validator.w3.org/feed/docs/wa...haracters.html

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Currently: New York/Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,735
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 519 Times in 507 Posts

    Default

    How are you setting your character encoding? Is the feed dynamically generated? Or are you hand writing it? If hand writing, have you checked the output settings? S

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medyman View Post
    How are you setting your character encoding? Is the feed dynamically generated? Or are you hand writing it? If hand writing, have you checked the output settings? S
    Its dynamic generated and the beginning looks like this:
    HTML Code:
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='ISO-8859-1'?>
    <rss version='2.0' xmlns:atom='http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom'>
    <channel>
    <title>my title</title>
    <link>...
    This will work for the English version but the Russian wont even display it and if I change it to UTF-8 I will get those weird characters, two of the recommendations I get from w3c is:
    0x94 = RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK
    0x9D = UNDEFINED
    Last edited by Dennis_Gull; 09-01-2008 at 08:15 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I fixed it by adding:
    Code:
    $encoding = "UTF-8";
    iconv("$encoding","$encoding//IGNORE",$xml);

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •