Thread: mov Save As

Thanks

Default mov Save As

There might be a simple answer to this simple question, but I havent found it yet.

I have a Apple Quick Time mov file and when I link my page to the mov file when clicked the page loads the movie and plays it embedded in the html page. Is there a string of code that will force the mov to prompt for download instead of play directly from the link?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yes. The only way to do this is to upload the .mov file onto your website. Then use the window.open() technique. It should allow the user to download the file from your website.

-magicyte

3. The Following User Says Thank You to magicyte For This Useful Post:

nate51 (09-08-2008)

Thanks

You can't properly force a browser to make someone download a file. You can suggest that they "right click, save as", though it would be their choice to load in the browser, too. You can try to send a header that will force a download, but this isn't proper code and it might be ignored by some browsers.
    One way, alternatively, to force a download every time is to encase the .mov in a .zip file, which can never open directly in a browser, so they must download then use the .mov out of the browser.
    This has nothing really to do with a .mov specifically, so you can just search for "force download" and you'll find a number of related options/solutions. (It would be basically the same for an image or audio file, for example.)
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yeah. That too.

-magicyte