Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DD code of summer?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    Rather than new scripts, couldn't we have an organised effort to clean up the scripts already there? I tried to organise something to that effect a few months ago, but there was little enthusiasm. Most of the DD codebase is, frankly, embarrassing.
    totally agreed. I think scripts that are no longer relevant, or have been superseded (eg scripts written for IE4) should be removed or at least updated, and those which we find okay, update them so they are properly coded.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

What I think you should do to organize, if you didn't try this. Is to get all the scripts that are good, and then take out the ones that you didn't put down as good or something like that.
    Jeremy | jfein.net

Thanks

Perhaps we should see what the present DD library have. If they can still be used, then we just leave it as it is. For those that we think is past is expiry date, either we delete them or modify them if possible. Once we are done with the bookkeeping, we should have an clearer picture what new stuffs we might want to put in the library. Personally, i think there should be some similar stuffs out in the library.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Medyman View Post
    I'd love to do this kind of thing but for something a little more complicated, perhaps. It need not be featured on DD. There are other venues for useful scripts/applications.
    The idea is twofold; collaborative working and compete against each other resulting in good scripts/applications. I know of other venues, but I thought having a community here it would will be easier to get people to join in. my idea seems not as good as I thought it was as the tendency is for cleaning up code.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with your idea, but we mustn't neglect the existing codebase in the name of progress.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

I think we can close this thread now. Not because of the issue with the existing code. It isn't an issue at all, because it can easily fit in the contest. I don't think it is going to happen because not enough people are coming forward to work together. That part is for me far more important than the codebase because that is solvable.

Thanks

I just now saw this, and only because I happened to post here and got curious. The original idea sounds fun, and the other sounds responsible... Maybe we could do both?

And maybe this should be more prominent?
    -- Chris
    informal JavaScript student of Douglas Crockford
    I like wikis - a lot.