Thread: Ultimate Fadein Slideshow Question

Thanks

Default Ultimate Fadein Slideshow Question

1) Script Title:
    Ultimate Fadein Slideshow
    2) Script URL (on DD):
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...nslideshow.htm

3) Describe problem:
    Everything works, except it takes a few seconds to load the script. And the roll-over buttons I have (each on a separate layer) don't load until a few seconds after the script. I changed the Z index in Dreamweaver, to load the script after everything loads, but it doesn't work. Is there a way to start the script after everything on the page loads? Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

z-index has no effect upon when something loads, just upon how it stacks in the depth coordinate (z-axis) of the page. If two items occupy the same spot on the page (or overlap some), the one with the higher z-index will be on top, assuming they both qualify for z-index style.

The length of time it takes for the script to load depends upon the byte load of the images configured in its array(s). These are preloaded in the head of the page as the page is being parsed by the browser, so often can load before other images on the page load, certainly before anything that gets preloaded 'onload' does.

If you were to use incremental preloading for the slide show, it could speed things up, as would optimizing all of your images for minimum byte size.

Another alternative would be to preload the menu (button) images first thing in the head, before the slide show script.

This script may be configured to look just like Ultimate Fade, and already does an incremental preload:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...army/index.htm
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jscheuer1 For This Useful Post:

john_t_03 (07-29-2008)

Thanks

I have a very silly question--I'm an extreme newbie, I hope this is where I can post it, but I was attempting to use the Ultimate Fade in Slideshow, and it seems the images will only stack vertically, is there a way to do them horizontally. It is what we are looking for but I don't see where to tell it how to align in the code. Please let me know. Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

You really should post to a new thread for a new question, even if it is about the same script. I'll let that slide this time, as you are new. You can do things as is done on the demo page (from its source code):

Code:
    <table border="0" width="450" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
          <tr>
            <td><script type="text/javascript">
    //new fadeshow(IMAGES_ARRAY_NAME, slideshow_width, slideshow_height, pause, optionalRandomOrder)
    new fadeshow(fadeimages, 140, 225, 1, 3000, 1, "R")

</script></td>
            <td><script type="text/javascript">
    new fadeshow(fadeimages2, 110, 110, 0, 4000, 0)

</script></td>
          </tr>
    </table>
    If you want more help on this one, please start a new thread.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate