Thread: Featured content slider - making page slow to load?

Thanks

Default Featured content slider - making page slow to load?

1) Script Title: Featured Content Glider

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...tentglider.htm

3) Describe problem:

Hi all, i have the above script on my homepage twice, and i think its severely slowing down my page, feel free to take a look at www.jmcsecurity.co.uk

can anyone confirm that this is whats slowing my page?

if it is any suggestions around that, and still keeping the script?

Or do i need to remove it? (although i dont want to , slow pages lose customers right?)

thanks
    James

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Slowing down the page how? Do you mean the initial load time, or constantly as the user interacts with the page? FYI using IE7 and FF3, I didn't notice any of the above when testing out your page.

Thanks

Hi, thanks for the quick response...

It just the initial loading of the page, once loaded the page works perfect.... on my home pc its fine, but here at work it takes about 10 seconds to open, so i posted a thread in a design forum i am a member of. several people tested and loading times varied from 5-12 seconds, so i reduced image sizes etc but still seems to be taking too long too load...

finally someone in that forum said :

This file is your biggest problem:

jquery-1.2.2.pack.js

Unlike image files, script files cannot be downloaded in parallel so the browser has to wait until the entire 26KB file downloads, then process it before it continues with the rest of the page.

To make matters even worse, the JavaScript file uses obfuscated code so the browser has to un-encrypt it before it can even process it!

Now i am not saying he is right, hence i asked the question here...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

jQuery is the JavaScript framework used by this script for some of its features. It's actually one of the most compact JS frameworks out there in terms of file size, so unless the surfer is still on a dialup, I really don't see how it could be much of an issue. It's obfuscated for compression reasons, and regardless, shouldn't create a bottleneck in its rendering either.